What's in a Secret

Happily, I sewed on the new pattern. I twisted the thin needle through the pure white fabric in my usual magical way. With each stitch I added a small bit of detail to my forest.

I wanted to sew my leg but Poppy wouldn't let me do that. Instead she gave me a piece of fabric, some thread and a pain killer. Poppy learnt early that trying to make me sleep through the operations as Ama wouldn't let her touch me when I couldn't stop her.

Of course I didn't mind the operations, they tickled and made me laugh. However, Poppy always seemed disturbed by this fact. She kept giving me different things to keep me preoccupied. Otherwise I 'wriggled too much' for her to work. Stupid really as I was always worked while wriggling.

Poppy put down her wand before standing up. "That's the best I can do," she informed Dumbledore who stood by my bedside.

Dumbledore waved her wand to cover me in the glamour. I frowned a little as my patchwork skin became flawless and smooth. It was too weird for me.

"You shouldn't treat yourself Harry," Dumbledore scolded me as I tilted my head.

'Why not? I am fully capable of treating myself,' I wrote with annoyance. I didn't like not doing anything.

"You are not trained."

'Then train me! I have looked after myself throughout my childhood but the longer I stay here the more you seem to want me to stop doing!'

"Harry... You don't need to look after yourself. You should never have had to."

"But I did!"

"Harry! I told you not to speak!"

"Why not?! I don't care if no one can understand me! I still have Ama and I can use magic with this tongue which is what you are meant to be teaching me! I shouldn't be suppressed just because I was raised differently to your high standards!"

"Harry, I don't understand a thing you're saying."

"That is not my problem!" Crossing over my arms indignantly, I slummed back into my bed. I felt an unfamiliar wetness in the corners of my eyes. "I just want to do one thing that's normal."

"Harry? It's okay." Poppy pulled me into a sideway hug, running her hand sweetly.

"It is not okay. If Harry keeps going around like this people might find out what he is and he will be in great danger," Dumbledore warned, momentarily letting down my glamour to let Poppy see the rotting body I lived in.

"He will be or your reputation will be?! I want you to leave my wing, now."

Dumbledore looked like he had just been slapped. He stumbled back before leaving out the door. Poppy sighed as she pulled away from me. She gave me a sad smile before standing up.

"I have done what I can for your leg but until the substitution material is ready I won't be able to make it strong. I want you to use these crutches so you don't damage yourself further," she told me, handing me two metal sticks with rubber feet.

Smiling, I nodded. 'Does that mean I can talk again? I want to talk to Ama without having to constantly look over my shoulder.'

Poppy hesitated, she knew that parselmouths weren't really accepted but even she couldn't say no to my hatchling eyes. "Fine, but only when in your dorm."

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I hopped up, hugging her and making her laugh.

"I guess that means thank you."

Nodding, I grabbed the fabric I had been working on and finished off the last few stitches.

"Sly?"

Turning around, I smiled up at my fellow badgers who walked through the door. 'Hello!'

"Since when could you talk?!" Kevin gave me a look to tell me I couldn't get out of this without a proper answer.

'We can't talk here. Let's go back to the dorm.'

Taking what they could get, Justin helped me onto my feet and started to help me down the corridors.

We were half way up one of the stairs when it jerked to the side and changed destination. Walking in through the door, we found ourselves inside a cold corridor.

"Where are we?" Wayne cautiously took a step forward making the torches flare alive.

"We should leave," Kevin said, motioning for us all to exit.

Before we could however, a familiar cat entered and meowed loudly. Knowing better than to get caught by Filch, I grabbed Kevin and pushed him forward. We ran down the path getting stuck in front of a old wooden door.

"It's locked," Justin shouted as I pushed him aside.

I held my hand over the lock and used my magic to open it. Pushing the others in, I hopped in after them. Kevin shoved the door closed as he and Wayne leaned against it.

"How did you do that?!"

Rolling my eyes at Justin's question, I looked back around, freezing.

"Why was it locked?"

Am I the only who sees that?! Tapping on Wayne's shoulder, I tried to get his attention.

"We are not even meant to be on this floor, does the reason it's locked really matter?!"

Tugging on Wayne's shoulder, he ignored me completely.

"Either way we need to get out of here!"

Rolling my eyes, I shakingly walked towards the massive creature inside with us. Fearfully, I reached out, giggling when I touched something really fluffy.

"Sly? Oh gosh! What is that?!" Justin jumped back, his eyes wide as the three headed dog stood up and growled lowly.

"Well, we've answered one question," Justin said matter-of-factly.

"Everyone out!" Kevin quickly pushed Wayne and Justin out before turning to look at me. I was petting the dog who kept licking me.

"Sly!"

Rolling my eye, I petted the dog goodbye and followed them out.

Kevin dragged me into our room, startling Roger who had been reading. "What's going on?"

"What isn't going on in this wacko school! Firstly, our teachers are keeping a literal Cerberus in the school! Secondly, the stairs in this castle are trying to kill us! And our mute friend isn't mute!" Kevin walked in a circle before pointing at me, making me smile shyly. "Is there anything else we're missing?!"

Glancing at Ama I sheepishly picked up my notebook. 'I know Dumbledore doesn't want me to say this but... I'm an immortal corps he learnt everything I know from a semi-magical snake while living inside a cupboard.'

"I think I might need to put down my book..."