Christmas Cold

Laughing, I hopped off to the hospital wing. I'm finally getting my cast off! 

Ron and Roger were coming with me. Roger had his chest board on him and was planning on playing against Ron while waiting.

Kevin, Wayne, Justin and Hermione were all getting ready to return for the holidays. Thankfully, Ron and Roger were staying so I won't be too lonely. 

Bursting through the doors, I smirked at Poppy who looked half scared to death. 'Morning! Can we start? Please!' 

Poppy let out a soft laugh before motioning to the bed I will be staying in for the rest of the day. I hopped onto the soft mattress and swung my leg onto it. I laid my head down, giggling slightly. 

Poppy pulled out her wand and waved it over my leg, removing the cast completely. She tested out the bone, before forcing a drink down my throat. "Your bone should be strong enough to walk on in a few hours. Until then, stay still and stay in bed." Poppy buzzed around, getting the next lot of potions together. 

Ron and Roger pulled up a table and a couple of chairs, playing their game as I pulled out a book. We sat in a content silence, not minding the background noise or the rush of the final students running about to say goodbye to their friends. It didn't take long for Wayne to come in and join us. Giving me some books and read over the winter while I gave him some passages in snake tongue Ama used to make me read. 

Justin and Kevin dropped by briefly, giving me small messages of goodbyes before they were running out once again. Eventually, Hermoine came by, she had all her stuff with her and looked cosy in her Gryffindor scarf. She just happened to walk in as Ron's piece obliterated Roger's piece. "That's bagaric!"

"That's wizard's chest. I've seen you've packed," Ron said sharply.

"See you haven't."

"Change of plan, my family decided to go to Romania to visit my brother Charlie. He's studying dragons there."

"Good, you can search the library then, we need to find information on Nicholas Flamel."

"We've looked a hundred times!"

Tilting my head, I shared a look between Roger. Ever had that moment when you refocus on a conversation you are 'in' and you have no clue what is going on or what they are talking about and you kind of just sit in there pretending to know what is happening? Yeah, that's what we feel like right now.

Hermoine leaned down to make sure Poppy couldn't hear her. "Not in the restricted section. Happy Christmas." Hermoine got back up and dragged her bags away. She smiled at me and Rogger before leaving.

Shaking my head, I looked at Ron, flicking my wrist. 'What was that about?'

"Don't ask, I'll explain about Fluffy and Hagrid later."

We were allowed to leave about ten minutes after, returning to our respected dorms and curling up in the comfy beds. 

"Night, Sly."

'Night, Roger.'

"Sly, Roger, wake up! Come on Harry, wake up!" 

We both groaned before rolling off our beds. How did Ron even get in here? I pulled the covers off me and jumped onto the floor. I noticed Roger looking at me sadly which made me tilt my head. 

He sighed as he pinched his nose. "Your glamour, sly."

Holding out my hands, I saw the usual patch work and laughed. I ran up to Roger, wrapping my arms around his neck. I had to stand on my tiptoes to reach him in this form but he was smaller than the other boys so it wasn't too bad. I whispered the spell under my breath as I instantly became taller and healthier. I smiled at Roger but motioned for us to leave. 

"Happy Christmas mates," Ron greeted us when we came down.

"Happy Christmas," Roger responded.

'What are you wearing?' I tilted my head noticing that Ron was wearing a weird sweater with a 'R' on the front. 

Ron looked down before smiling awkwardly. "Oh. My mum made it. It looks like you've got one too."

'I-I've got presents?'

Ron nodded, motioning for us to join him by the tree. "Yeah!"

I ran down the steps, noticing the packages in front of the brightly decorated tree. 

"There they are."

I looked at the few remaining boxes, smiling when I noticed a familiar name. 'There are some for you too.' I picked up the packages, holding them out to Roger who looked startled.

"M-me?"

"You two don't seem to understand how Christmas works," Ron muttered, grabbing a Burty box of every flavour of beans. "It's Christmas, of course you two get presents. Why would it be any different?"

Roger and I shared a knowing look as I grabbed my own gifts and climbed onto the couch, sitting crossed legged. 'I guess we just have different Christmas than you.' I didn't wait for his reaction before looking at the label on my present. Your father left this in my possession before he died. It is time it was returned to you. Use it well. Tilting my head I slowly unwrapped the fabric, pulling out a blanket like object and giggling at its softness. 

"What is it?"

'Some kind of cloak, it's super soft!' I curled up in the fabric, wrapping it around my shoulders and snuggling into its warmth. 

"Whoa!"

Looking up at my friends, I gave them a weird look. 'What is wrong?'

"You've gone invisible," Roger gasped.

"I know what that is. That's an invisibility cloak," Ron explained though he didn't really say anything I couldn't have guessed. "They're really rare. I wonder who gave it to you?"

'It has no name. It just said use it well.'

Shaking off the weird feeling, I continued with the gifts. Kevin had got me a book on snakes and some treats for Ama while Wayne got me a box of sweets and a greek story book. Ron had given me a bunch of sweets and his mother got me a sweater like his. Hermoine gave me a book on wandless and wordless magic and I seemed to get some treats from various teachers. Roger hadn't got me anything and I was a little guilty since I hadn't gotten anyone else anything either. Ron told me it was fine and I could get him two things next year to make up for it but I doubt that would happen.

Walking back upstairs, I climbed into bed. I looked up at Roger, who was staring out into the frosted window. 

'Are you alright, Roger?' 

He jumped back at the writing in the ice, turning around to look at me.

"Yeah. Guess I was a little overwhelmed. I'm not used to these sort of... presents."

Dragging my cover over to the window, I curled up at his side. 'I know the feeling. Do you think we'll ever get used to this?'

'Probably not.'

Sighing, we stayed there until long after I had fallen asleep.