Hufflepuff Huddle

Hopping, I followed our prefect down the corridors. The dorms are so far away. Why was this castle so big?!

We had to walk past these stairs that turned on their own and changed which exit they were leading to, how are we meant to get anywhere if the stairs move?

The prefect led us to a series of barrels. Why would the entrance be behind a series of barrels. The prefect brought out his wand, tapping one of the barrels a few times making the entrance open and letting us in.

The room was decorated in a mix of yellows and blacks, standing out against the highly polished, honey-coloured wood that made the tables and round doors which lead out. The passage inside was earthy and hard to walk on, it travelled a little way inside until meeting a cosy, round, low-ceilinged room.

Plants and flowers seemed to burst with life, soaking up the Hufflepuff atmosphere; various cacti stood on circular, wooden shelves which curved to fit the walls, many of them waved and danced at the students who walked through. Copper bottomed plant holders dangled down among tendrils of ferns and ivies that brushed over my hair as I walked in.

Over a wooden mantelpiece- that was carved to show dancing badgers- was a portrait of Helga Hufflepuff, or at least who I think is Helga Hufflepuff. She was toasting us with a tiny, two-handled cup. Small, round windows just level with the ground outside showed a dazzling view of rippling grass and dandelions and some feet- I wonder who is out this late.

"Welcome to Hufflepuff, our new badgers," the perfect greeted, holding out his arms warmly. "To get to the girls dormitories, go through the left door. Boys go through the right. For a gender neutral dorm, the middle door. You'll find your stuff has already been put in your rooms. If there are any mistakes, do not hesitate to contact one of us, we will help you. Go check your rooms then you can join us in half an hour for hot chocolate and warm cookies."

Smiling, I went up the stairs and found my room. I bounced onto the bed, letting out a happy giggle. The beds were so much more comfortable than the ones in the hospital wing, and definitely better than the cupboard.

"You're very... excited," one of the Hufflepuff boys commented, slightly confused by my actions. He had curly brown hair that was pulled into a neat-ish style.

'You try staying in the hospital wing for weeks, you'll learn to love a good bed like this,' I wrote, rolling over so I was on my front and watching them.

"Why were you in the hospital wing," another boy asked as he leaned over the paper to watch me write. He had dirty blond hair that went down past his ears.

'Apparently, I needed some kind of transplant. I don't really remember what kind,' I lied easily. I did remember, it's hard to forget a skin transplant, but I was told I wasn't allowed to say- write it.

"How come you can't speak?" One of the other boys walked forward, his black hair falling in front of his face, annoying him. "If that's not rude or anything! You don't have to answer."

Shaking my head I wrote down my answer, pausing a little to think. Dumbledore said to not tell anyone about my home life, how can I explain this? 'When I was little a man attacked me. He crushed my throat and I didn't get treatment in time. My vocal cords don't work anymore.'

"I'm sorry to hear- read that," the last boy said, rubbing my shoulder sympathetically. "I'm Kevin. Kevin Entwhistle. This is Roger Malone and Wayne Hopkins." Kevin pointed to the boy with dirty blond hair and the boy with black hair in turn. "I'm sorry, I am not sure about your name."

"Justin Finch-Fletchley," Justin introduced himself. "And I assume we all know your name, Harry. Is it okay to call you that?"

I nodded, tilting my head slightly. 'I have another name, but people usually can't pronounce it. Ron is the only person to ever get it right.'

"Don't your parents- guardians get it right," Kevin asked carefully.

Sighing, I shook my head. 'My uncle and Aunt can't pronounce it and usually just call me boy.'

"That's awful! They should call you by your name," Roger snapped. "Can you tell us your name?"

Nodding, I turned back to the page where I taught Ron to speak my name.

Each gave tries and a few were close but they were all struggling with it. It was hard to not say it myself to teach them. I wanted to speak.

"I'm sorry, Harry. I just can't be able to do it," Justin said sadly, collapsing back on the floor. "It's just a shame you can't just speak it to us. At least then we would know what we are aiming for."

Gently, biting my lip I considered what to do. I could tell them but that would anger Dumbledore and likely get me sent back to the cupboard. I didn't want to go back, it wasn't fun in that cupboard.

"Harry? Are you okay?"

Sighing, I nodded. It's better people not being able to pronounce my name than being in the cupboard. The other Hufflepuffs shared a look of disbelieving but assumed I was just sad that they couldn't get my name right.

"Hang on a sec," Wayne interrupted. "There might be a way to listen to it. You said Ron knew your name, he can teach us."

Shooting up, I nodded excitedly. 'He can teach you! But he'll have to do it another day, he is a Gyffindor.'

"That's fine, we are Hufflepuffs, we can wait."

"Badgers! The hot chocolate is done, come down before it gets cold!"

Smiling, I let Ama slide onto my shoulders before following my new friends downstairs. This school is going to be fun!