Cocoons

Grumbling on the way back, I ignored anyone's attempts to talk to me. I kept thinking back to my life in the cupboard. I didn't want to think about it right now. Finally getting to our room, I curled up on my bed.

I could hear the other badgers coming back from studying- most likely having been told by the others that I was upset. I ignored Wayne's and Kevin's attempts to comfort me and curled up tighter, not caring that my glamour had fallen. Roger gently removed the others and sat by my side, not touching me but making sure I knew he was there.

"Do you want me to read you a story?"

Nodding from under my cocoon Roger climbed onto the bed next to me. I crawled over to him so that my head was laying on his shoulder as he started to read from the muggle book in his hands. "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Sighing happily, I let Roger's soothing voice lul me to sleep. 

Shooting up, I looked around for the source of the blood curdling scream. I knew it wasn't mine, mine were a lot quieter than that. I searched wildly, spotting the figure cowering in the corner. I carefully pushed myself off my bed, stepping towards Roger. 

The others were awake now, muttering confusingly. I bit my bottom lip before coming closer to Roger. I couldn't get his attention as he had his eyes shut and it wasn't like he would understand anything I say. I wasn't sure what to do but Roger needed someone.

Gently reaching out my fingers, I barely touched his shoulder when he screamed and flinched away. Whimpering, he curled into the corner, whispering nonescene. "Please don't hurt me. Please, I'm sorry. I'll be good. I'll be quiet. Please don't hurt me."

Biting onto my lip, I gently sat beside him and wrapped my arms around him, I ran my fingers through his hair while humming under my breath. I gently sang a song Ama taught me when I was little, rocking him back and forth. "I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go."

He didn't seem to register who I was and kept muttering under his breath. I noticed Kevin and Wayne who were keeping at a distance while watching us. Justin was sitting on his bed, looking at us as if we were over reacting. 

"When all those shadows almost killed light. I remembered you said don't leave me here alone. But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight. Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."

I smiled when noticing that Roger had calmed down ever so slightly, still crying but slowly coming more and more aware of what was going on. Kevin shuffled forward, holding out his hand to show that he will sing next.

"Don't you dare look out your window, darling everything's on fire. The war outside our door keeps raging on. Hold onto this lullaby even when the music is gone. Gone."

Smiling, we all joined back in for the chorus, the three different languages mixing perfectly. 

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."

"Just close your eyes, you'll be alright." Smiling, we watched Justin sing- he was surprisingly good. "Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."

Roger was asleep against my shoulder, a small smile on his face. I brushed my fingers against his cheeks, removing the tears from his face. He didn't deserve this. Kevin walked over to us, reaching under Roger's legs. I gave him a startled look, bringing Roger out of his reach.

"It's okay Sly. I'm just moving him to his bed," Kevin explained, carefully removing my friend from my hold. Roger let out a small whimper but didn't wake. Justin pulled the covers up and let Kevin lay down Roger before covering him. 

Wayne stood by me, gently touching my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

'Of course, why wouldn't I be?' I tilted my head at my friend, watching him read my words. 

He looked like he wanted to say something but shook his head and climbed into his own bed. I watched Justin retreat to his own bed, giving me a strange look before Kevin left. I was about to move myself when the door burst open. 

I practically jumped three feet in the air, startling Kevin and Wayne and waking up Roger who groaned and buried himself in his cover. Professor Sprout was standing in the doorway, looking over us- or more specifically me.

"What are you doing up this late- early?"

Biting my lip, I gave a look to Roger. I knew he wasn't ready to talk. I shouldn't put him in the place where he has to. 'I'm sorry Professor Sprout, I had a nightmare and woke everyone up.'

Professor Sprout looked over me, since I didn't have my glamour on, I wasn't sure whether she would recognise me. She- like the other heads of houses- had been warned that I wore a glamour but it wasn't a small change like they would be expecting. 

"D-do you want me to get you anything?" 

I shook my head poelity, fidgeting from being put on the spot. She gave me a kind smile before turning around. 

"Oh, and I hope you boy know that if you say a word about Mr. Potter's glamour there will be serious consequences." When receiving the nods she needed, she turned to leave. "Goodnight badgers."

Smiling, I shuffled across the room. 

"Why did you do that?" I stopped to look at Justin who was watching me suspiciously.

'Because Roger is not ready. Would you like to have to talk about your worst nightmares just after you had one?' Justin's silence was all the answer I needed. I wasn't going to go back to my bed after that. I crawled next to Roger who shuffled and unconsciously wrapped his arms around me. I buried myself in the warmth and placed my head so I could hear his heart- it was beating normally. Roger was safe and sound.