Under the stairs

I sat at our table, swinging my legs under it. Today was the first Quidditch match of the school year and I was not looking forward to it. Sounds loud and packed. Never good when things are loud and packed.

"Hey Sly, you should eat more than that," Justin told me pointing at the basic meal I had been munching on.

'Why? This is more than I usually eat.'

Justin frowned at what I said, getting up and leaving me behind. Justin had been like this since that night I opened up to him. I still didn't know what I had done wrong.

"Morning Sly."

Turning, I smiled up at Roger who walked in with Kevin. Wayne was already seated across from me.

'Morning!'

Tapping my fingers against the table I waited for the teachers to chase us out and to the field. Why was this such a big deal?

Roger gently placed his hand on my shoulder, motioning that we should leave. Sighing, I followed his lead and let my friends drag me to the stands. 

They found us a place at the back, furthest away from the action and, hopefully, noise. 

Madam Hooch walked onto the pitch, the flyers from Slytherin and Gryffindor circling her.

"Hello, and welcome to Hogwarts' first Quidditch game of the season! Today's game Slytherin versus Gryffindor!" I jumped slightly at the loud bounce echoing across the stadium, Lee dictating what was occurring on the field. "The players take their positions as Madam Hooch steps out onto the field to begin the game." 

"Now, I want a nice clean game...from all of you." Madam Hooch kicked the chest, releasing the Bludgers and the Golden Snitch.

"The bludgers are up...followed by the Golden Snitch. Remember, the snitch is worth 150 points. The seeker who catches the Snitch ends the game." 

I tilted my head, what a weird set of rules. Wait, if the snitch ends the game and both seekers are taken out, does that mean the game doesn't end? Will we be stick watching these people beating each other up until the seekers return?

"Calm down, Sly. It's just a game, everything will be okay," Wayne whispered to me.

'What if it doesn't end?'

"Why wouldn't it end?"

I was about to answer when Madam Hooch threw the Quaffle in the air.

"The Quaffle is released...and the game begins!" 

The flyers zoomed about comically, rushing to get the strange flying balls. The Gryffindor chaser, Angelia Johnson, caught the ball and dodged all the Slytherin members, scoring a point for Gryffindor.

"Angelina Johnson scores! 10 points for Gryffindor!"

The Gryffindors roared their cheers as the other Badgers cheered themselves. 

I flinched from the loud noise. I didn't get why everyone was cheering what she did, it wasn't amazing. I could do that without the need to get on those death traps.

"Slytherin takes possession of the Quaffle. Bletchley passes to Captain Marcus Flint."

Flint dodges and weaves around the other players, going to throw the ball at the Gryffindor hoop but is stopped by the Keeper, Oliver Wood. Johnson and Katie Bell pass the Quaffle between them as they planned their form of attack.

Johnson threw the Quaffle and scored once again. 

"Another 10 points to Gryffindor!" 

The Slytherins looked angry as they started to become more violent. They dodged the attacks and kicked the others, trying to score once more but Oliver blocked. 

Flint looked even more angry than earlier, grabbing a beater's bat and whacking a bludger towards Oliver. Oliver grunted as it hit his stomach and he collapsed on the wooden stick, falling back and towards the ground.

The stadium booed at the Slytherin's who looked proud of themselves. Why were they being booed? They were only playing the game!

The Slytherin's were able to score, most people unhappy by the development.

The Slytherin's cornered the girl with the Quaffle forcing her into one of the covers on the side of the tower. Thankfully, she wasn't too badly hurt and only unconscious.

Not understanding the game, leaned back and waited for it to be over. Ama slid up my arm and curled around my neck, making me smile. 

I was happily petting her, minding my own business when a blusher came charging for our stand. Wayne pulled me out the way as I let out a half terrified yelp. 

The blusher came back, once again almost hitting me but it was stopped by one of Ron's elder brothers flying in front and hitting it away.

He didn't have time to talk, returning to the game and flying over our heads.

Okay, it is decided. I hate this! 

Giving a fearful look to Wayne he sighed. He helped me up, directing me out of the tower and down below onto the field. Roger sitting down beside us.

'Sorry,' I wrote, looking down guilty. Wayne and Roger liked that game, I shouldn't have taken them away from it. 'I'll be fine. You can go back to the game.'

Wayne looked conflicted but Roger didn't even consider my offer. "You go, Wayne. I'll look after Sly."

Wayne seemed more comfortable knowing I had someone looking after me, as if I couldn't look after myself. He smiled at us before returning to the game. Kevin greeted him the second he got back to the stand.

I looked at Roger, unsure of what to do. Spotting the flowers surrounding us, I grinned. 

Roger watched me as I plated together the stems and made flower crowns, putting one on his head. 

I sat back down and went to make another for myself. I didn't mind Roger, who was watching me intently. 

When I placed my own crown on my head, I collapsed back and curled up under the warming sky, sighing contentedly. 

"Sly... How do you do it?" 

Rolling onto my stomach, I looked up at Roger, tilting my head. 'Do what?"

"Pretend like everything is okay... Doesn't it... haunt you? You know what, never mind. Pretend I never said anything."

'Roger? Are you... like me?'