Devil's Snare

Fearfully, I snuck out of the dorm room. We were going to get the philosopher's stone tonight. I needed to sneak past the students and teachers to get to the Gryffindor common room and pick up Ron and Hermione. Then we sneak to the third floor corridor, sneak past Fluffy and retrieve the Philosopher's stone without anyone realising we left.

Sounds easy... not.

Pulling the cloak around my shoulders, I prepared to leave when I heard a tired voice from the stairs.

"Sly...? What are you doing...?"

Spinning, I could see Roger standing in the door frame. He was rubbing his eyes with his fist and yawned from being up so late. 'Nothing Rog, go back to sleep. I'll be back soon.'

"Where are you going?" Roger came close as he brushed his fingers along the cloak. "Are you sneaking out?"

I hesitantly nodded as I chewed on my lip. 'You should go back to sleep before they claim you had a part in this.'

Roger shook his head. "I'll go with you."

'You don't even know what I'm doing.'

"I know. But it is you. I know you wouldn't break the rules without reason." Roger hid a little, looking down with a blush on his cheeks.

'Are you sure? You seem a bit red. Maybe you should go sleep.' I gently pressed my hand against his forehead- having to stand on my tiptoes to reach without the aid of my glamours to make me taller.

"N-no. I'm fine. I just want to make sure you don't get into any trouble." Roger avoided my gaze as he cleared his throat. "Should we get going?"

Nodding, I wrapped my cloak around his shoulders and linked our arms. I pulled him down the corridors and towards the Gryffindors. Hermione and Ron were just coming up as we rounded the corner.

Was that Neville frozen on the floor?

'Evening Lions!' They both jumped out of their skin as Roger pulled the cloak off our heads. I smiled up at Ron and Hermione before pulling them into a hug. 'Shall we get going? Fluffy won't wait all night!'

Roger threw the cloak around our shoulders and let me lead the way. It wasn't easy and we kept tripping on one another but eventually we made our way to the third floor corridor. Hermione opened the door and let us come in but we instantly noticed something was wrong.

A harp was playing, keeping Fluffy asleep. Someone had gotten here first.

"Wait a minute... he's... sleeping," Ron whispered as Fluffy let out a breath causing the cloak to flutter off us.

"Snape's already been here," Hermione stated as she approached the sleeping dog. "He's put a spell on the harp."

'We don't know it is Snape,' I pointed out.

"Uh. It's got a horrible breath," Ron exclaimed as he covered his nose.

I felt Roger gripping onto my hand making me stop. "I'm not sure about this Sly. What if it wakes up?"

'It'll be fine. Fluffy and I are friends, he wouldn't hurt us.' I gave Roger a smile as I pulled him towards Fluffy's paw. 'We'll have to move his paw.'

"What?!"

'Come on!' I grabbed a part of the paw as the others grabbed their own part. 'Okay, push!' We all strained to push the paw out of the way. Once it was moved, Hermione pulled open the trap door. 'I'll go first. Don't follow until I give you a sign. If something bad happens, get yourselves out, I'll be fine.... Does it seem a bit.. quiet?' I might have gotten a bit distracted during my speech but it was deadly quiet.

"The harp. It stopped playing," Hermione commented with fear in her voice.

"Ew!" Turning to look at Ron, I could see a length of drawl going down his shoulder. "Yuck! Ugh."

'Ron...' I didn't get much time to warn him as Fluffy stood up and started growling and barking. Oh, Fluffy did not like them. Before FLuffy could bite either lion, I pushed them down the tap door. I grabbed onto Roger's hand and hopped down into the darkness together.

Thankfully, we landed on something squishy that broke our fall. The floor was covered in black rope-like vines.

"Whoa. Lucky this plant-thing is here, really," Ron gasped with relief.

Why did he have to say that?

The plant started to move and wrap around us, tying us up.

I could hear Roger screaming as he panicked. I reached out my hand to grab onto his as we shock in fear. This was a big mistake!

"Stop moving, both of you," Hermione ordered sharply. "This is Devil's Snare. You have to relax. If you don't it will only kill you faster."

"Kill us faster?! Oh now I can relax," Ron shouted back, fighting against the vines.

Hermione smiled at us as she relaxed and was pulled down below.

"Hermione!"

"Now what are we gonna do?!"

Hermione wasn't killed, that bit was obvious. These vines are squeezing us to kill us, not pulling us down.

"Just relax!" Well, at least she seems unharmed. "Do what I say. Trust me!"

Taking a deep breath, I calmed my breath and heart, letting the plant pull me down. I couldn't hold onto Roger any longer and let go off his hand.

"Sly!"

I fell next to Hermione who helped me up.

"Are you okay?"

'Yeah, yeah, I'm fine.'

"Help!" I looked up as I saw Roger fall through.

I ran over to him and helped him up. He pulled me into a tight hug, whimpering slightly. "I want to go back now Sly. I should have listened to you, we should go back."

'It's okay Roger. We're both fine.'

"Help! Help me!" Ron was still panicking and fighting against the vines.

"He's not relaxing, is he?" Hermione looked panicked. If we didn't do something soon, this could end badly. "We've got to do something!"

"Sly! What was the rhyme you tried to teach me? Devil's Snare... Devil's Snare," Roger started with consteration covering his face.

'It's deadly fun...' I continued before smiling brightly.

"'But it will sulk in the sun,'" Hermione and I finished together as Hermione pulled out her wand.

"That's it! Devil's Snare hates sunlight! Lumus Solem!" A bright beam of light shot up making The Snare skreik and recoll. Ron fell down and landed harshly on the floor.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Whew. Lucky we didn't panic," Ron stated as we looked at him like he was an idiot.

"Lucky Hermione and Sly pay attention in Herbology," Roger corrected as I giggled at him, linking our arms once again.

'Nowhere to go but forward! Onward!'