Forbidden Forest

Nibbling on my lip, I kept my fingers attached to Ron's sleeve. He and Hermione had been caught out of bed by Draco who got them in trouble but also got himself in trouble for doing so. Don't question it, it is McGonagall logic. Of course Justin and I were there too for being out of bed that night and we all were about to serve our detention. At night... probably past the after hours... This is why McGonagall should set detention not Dumbledore.

"A pity they let the old punishments die," Flich monologues while leading us away from the castle. "There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming."

I could feel a pit forming in my stomach. This man was too much like them. I could feel myself shaking. I wanted to get away from him. The others had also felt the dangerous aura coming off the man as they gulped. Ron sensed my terror and gently took my hand away from his sleeve and into his hand. He gave me a reassuring squeeze before turning his attention back to Flich.

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight. He's got a little job to do inside the dark forest." Flich walked up to Hagrid's hut. The larger man was standing outside with a fire going. He seemed to have been crying and was sniffling- which, as he was holding a crossbow, made it look like he had just murdered someone. "A sorry lot, Hagrid. Oh, good God, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?"

"Norbert's gone," Hagrid announced with a sigh. "Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony."

"Well, that's good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind," Hermione tried to comfort him.

"Who- or what- is Norbert?" Justin leaned into my ear as he sent confused glances to the people who clearly knew more than us.

'No idea,' I wrote in a soft blue light as to not hurt Justin's eyes.

"Since when could you change the colour?"

'Since eight this morning. I was bored and thought I would try it, useful huh?'

"Yeah."

"Right. let's go," Hagrid announced, making us pay attention again. Wait, we are actually going into the forest?!

I shared a look with Justin but since no one else said anything, we assumed they were talking about it while we were talking and so it would be rude to ask.

We were led deep into the woods. I kept my hand in Ron's, worried that I will get lost if I let go. Hagrid suddenly stopped and bent down. He dipped his fingers in a silver like liquid and rubbed two of them together. A smear of silver dripped down his fingers telling Hagrid we had found what we were looking for.

"Hagrid, what's that?" Justin kept his voice calm though I could tell he was scared.

"What we're here for. See that? That's unicorn blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been injured badly by something. So, it's our job to find the poor beast. Ron, Hermoin, you'll come with me. And Harry, Justin, you'll go with Malfoy."

I wanted to object but knew better than that so instead I hesitantly removed my hand from Ron's and stood somewhat awkwardly by Justin's side. Justin noticed my worry and linked our arms. It wasn't as comfortable as Ron's attempt but it did make me feel better so I gave him a smile and wrote 'thank you' by my head.

"Okay. Then I get Fang!" Draco wasn't backing down on that.

"Fine. Just so you know, he's a bloody coward." Hagrid sent a look to Fang who whined.

I gently walked across the forest floor tripping ever so often. I was still attached to Justin but I wasn't sure who needed it more right now. Guess we helped each other. Draco had the lamp that guided our way which pointed at Fang.

"You wait till my father hears about this. This is servant's stuff," Draco sneered, his slight shake however lessened the effect.

'Are you okay? You sound scared,' I wrote making Draco jump. Guess he wasn't used to my sudden writing in the air.

"Scared, Potter?!" Draco scoffed, making me frown. Did I do something wrong. Justin squeezed my arm to reassure me I wasn't wrong without having to say it. Why is it that everyone knows when I'm doubting myself?! It's a little creepy! A howl coming from my right distracted me from my thoughts. "Did you hear that? Come on, Fang."

We approached flat ground that felt wrong. There were roots everywhere that were gnarled and twisted. Fang stopped and growled at the space.

"What is it, Fang?" Justin was shaking, not likely that Fang didn't want to move forward.

I found my eyes fixed to the opening. There was an unicorn. It was pure white fur and silver hair, it was amazing... but, it was dying. A cloaked figure knelt over it, drinking it's blood. My scar was hurting, as it stood up and looked at me, silver blood coming from its mouth. Draco and Jusitn screamed in terror, the Slytherin running away as Jusitn jumped back and fell over one of the many roots.

"Help!"

The figure slid over the unicorn and glided towards us. I tried to back away but fell down, my scar was hurting, it was blinding. I couldn't focus, adrenaline rushed through me. I needed to get away but I couldn’t move.

"Sly!"

I didn't get time to react as Justin grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the figure. We collapsed next to a tree stump as a different creature launched over our heads. The creature- centaur- charged at the cloaked figure and chased it back into the shadows.

He turned to look at us but I couldn't meet his eyes. I whimpered and curled up into Justin's side, shaking like a leaf in a tornado, just waiting to be taking away.

"Stay away from him!" I could hear Justin shouting at the centaur as he moved to kneel in front of me.

"It is alright young wizard. But you must leave. Harry Potter is known to many creatures here. The forest is not safe at this time. Especially for him," the centaur tried to explain but Justin wasn't budging. The more the centaur talked, the worse I got. I was struggling to breath.

Justin was not going to leave me, I kept reminding myself of that fact. This is the true strength of a Hufflepuff, no matter how hurt they were, or how fearful, or how 'weak' they were, the second someone picks on one of their own, they might as well be a Gryffindor for they will do anything to protect their own.

"Sly!"

That is all I heard before the blackness took over and I collapsed into someone's arms. This is why the forbidden forest is forbidden.