Going going

I know that I don't actually, properly exist anymore.

I don't move, I don't speak. Mainly because I'm unconscious, lying in the emergency operating room.

How I know this?

I can see myself, and the doctors crowding over me. I'm watching from the corner of the room. They seem to be putting more blood into my body and patching up all the broken bones and the scratches. I don't look for long, because I find that I can travel between rooms without anyone noticing I'm there. Like a ghost. That's all I am now.

I manage to find Harri in another room, discussing something with the doctor. I sit next to him on the hospital bed he's sitting on. I want to touch him, but something in my mind stops me.

"She'll be fine, I'll make sure of it," the doctor reassuringly says.

"Do you promise?" Harri asks through gritted teeth.

"I can't do that, but I can try my best. Well, Elizabeth aside, you seem to be doing fine. A few minor injuries that seem to have healed up nicely. I'll let you know when Elizabeth is done." With a small smile and a bow, he walks out the room.

Harri looks around, before burying his face in his hands and sobbing quietly.

"Such an idiot... such an idiot..." I want to speak up, I want to tell him he isn't an idiot. He did his best to save me, and if he hadn't of protected me, I would definitely be dead.

I feel my hand slowly moving towards his shoulder. My mind lets me touch him. His body jolts and he looks around.

"Who's there?" He asks, standing up and wiping away his tears. "Who's there?" He repeats, louder this time.

I don't know what to do, how do I tell him I'm here? That I'm with him? Cursing under my breath, I walk over to him and kiss him. When I stop, he whispers something.

"Elizabeth? Is that you?" I tap his shoulder. "Oh my God," tears start to appear in his bloodshot eyes, "are you dead?" I look around, maybe I could find something to write with... A pen, on a table. I pick it up and hold Harri's hand and write not yet on it. "What do you mean not yet? Are you dying?" I write I don't know next to my other answer. "I need to go, I need to ask the doctor..." I take his face in one hand and run my finger up and down it. Holding my hand in his, he says softly "I love you." I feel a tear spilling over the top of my own eyelid. I kiss him in response. He walks out the room, and I follow him.

Harri's movement are jerky, frantic, yet his pace was one of that of complete serenity. The doctor was up ahead, speaking quietly with a nurse outside my operating room. He takes the doctor's arm harshly and talks in a harsh, muttered tone.

"Is she dead? Is she going to die?"

"Sir, I can assure you the procedure taking place is a simple one, they're almost done." Harri nods quietly and stands outside the door, tapping his foot impatiently.

I reach out to touch him again, but my hand doesn't reach his arm. My whole body is suddenly yanked forwards, back into the operating room. My own body is lying, perfectly normal on the bed. I'm sucked in.

---

Bright lights are in my eyes, and a feeling of deja vu is imminent in my mind. Only, this time I'm not in Harry's house, I'm at the hospital. I open my eyes slowly and see Harri sitting there, beside my bed, watching me eagerly and holding my hand.

"El," he squeezes my hand. "You're alright."

"Yeah, of course I am," I reply, confused. "Why wouldn't I be?"