THIRTEEN/

"what matters most is how well you walk through the fire."

it was raining really hard. the loud thunder roaring outside, the thin windows flinching and making straining sounds. it was quite late, close to one and taehyung still couldn't fall asleep.

the clock kept ticking ominously. the house creaking at every push of the winds, the chandelier ringing as the pea-sized crystals glinted in the dark.

namjoon was staying over at seokjin's and his father was, as usual, sleeping soundlessly ina few rooms away from his.

the house still seemed eerily empty. lifeless and taehyung felt strangely alone.

a few days ago after jeongguk had apologised, taehyung called yoongi only to receive the news that the older had not yet talked to the alpha and he felt surprisingly...relieved? after that, things were working quite smoothly. the app was in making and the sales rate of the older apps too had increased. soomin, on hearing the news, was highly impressed and that made taehyung happy too.

things with jeongguk were not-so-awkward. they even had coffee together in the corporation's cafeteria, indulged in a small talk.

taehyung was yet again surprised when jeongguk had smiled at him before leaving the office, last night. god, taehyung could still feel the weird feeling that rose inside of him. that cute, bunny smile, nose scrunched adorably when taehyung  was recalling the interview with that one man whose shit got stuck inside the toilet, his doe-eyes shining with amazement, eyes wrinkling at the ends.

taehyung never hated himself more.

groaning lowly, he sat up on the bed, the black silk sheets falling from his torso and on his lap. he had work the next day and he really needed sleep. running a hand through his already disheveled hair, the trueblood prepared to sleep when his phone rang. furrowing his eyebrows, he glanced at the unknown caller and accepted the call.

"yes?" 

"kim taehyung."

taehyung froze, as the unfamiliar voice behind the line drawled out his name.

"who is this?" the ravenette pressed the phone tighter against his ear as he heard peals of horrible and sadistic laughter float from the other side.

"you're co-worker's quite a looker, i might say."

taehyung's blood ran cold as he scrambled up from the bed, standing barefeet on the cold marble floor.

the distant sounds of the rain was heard on the other line and the sound of taehyung's heart beating loud and fast.

"what are you talking about?" another gut-wrenching laugh followed, the trueblood clenched his jaw.

"such a pretty thing." the man tsked, "left dying in a ditch. how would you like that, kim taehyung?"

"what? leave jeongguk out of this. who the fuck are you?" he growled, beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

"too bad. he's already wrecked. listen here, if you want this to stop then leave global units the fuck alone. stop that stupid app and hand the company over to us."

taehyung was now racing towards the living room still in his striped nightsuit and slippers, the storm at its peak outside.

"where is jeongguk?"  he said, gritting his teeth as he shaking hands grabbed the car keys and ran outside towards his mercedes, getting wet slightly in the process.

"if i tell you, mr. kim. what's the fun in that, huh?" another laugh and the line went dead.

but taehyung could make out the loud blaring of the sirens just at the end. he understood immediately where the younger would be, as he started the car, breathing ragged and sped through the heavy rain.

taehyung stopped his car in the middle of the deserted road and stepped outside, running frantically in the rain, the water ice-cold, hitting him like knives, the nightsuit sticking uncomfortably to his skin.

"jeongguk!" he shouted amidst the chaotic, his voice rippling in the night air.

no reply.

taehyung ran towards a thin alley littered with trash and open bins, heart beating like a maniac, limbs shaking like crazy, lips quivering and eyes burning.

he looked to his right and stilled.

jeongguk was slumped against a battered wall, his bottom lip bleeding, multiple blow marks all over his face, blood was trickling down his forehead, clothes intact but dirty with shoe marks, hair disheveled and eyes closed.

taehyung was beside him in an instant patting his cheek slightly.

"jeongguk?" 

no response.

he quickly checked the pulse. it was so frail. but still there. the ravenette felt hot tears streaming down his face as he choked back a sob at the younger's terrible condition. heck, he didn't even know why he was crying. 

he picked the male up, bridal style, the rain wetting the both of them, as he stumbled towards the car and placed the younger inside. taehyung sat on the driver's seat and started the car, white knuckled clutching the steering and the other hand on jeongguk's thigh.

please stay there. please.

he needed to go to the hospita. as soon as possible.

...

[a/n]

don't hate me please

do vote and comment lol

lots of love. 

cassandra.