Part 21: The League of Free Cities

Sansa smiled in satisfaction as Jaqicho Hartar, First Magister of Norvos and Belen Osten, First Magister of Qohor, shook hands. It would have taken a peace kiss in Westeros to put an end to their quarrels, but that didn't matter. It was important that there was finally a first real success.

Sansa's mission in Essos hadn't started off well. First she was in Braavos, where the Queen of the North had clearly felt that she would get no support against Daenerys there. She was received by Belo Aenolis, the new Sealord, but he was not impressed by her arguments. He even saw the King's Landing massacre as a "regrettable incident". While there were quite a few Braavosi who were sensible and recognized the expansion of the New Valyrian Empire as the threat it was, unfortunately this view would hardly prevail anytime soon. It looked more like Braavos wanted to form an alliance with the Empire.

After that, Sansa had visited Pentos, where she found more fertile ground. The queen had succeeded in convincing the rulers there of her concern. By luck, a high envoy from Lorath was in town at this time, whom Sansa was also able to convince. Still, she had known that all the declarations of intent and promises were just fine words at first.

Sansa then set about mediating between Norvos and Qohor to end the border war between the two Free Cities. The endeavor had been crowned with success sooner than Sansa dared hope. Besides the fear of the growing empire and Daenerys' determination to forcibly end slavery in Essos, the Queen of the North's charm may also have played a role.

And now the leaders of Norvos and Qohor and two high-ranking government officials from Pentos and Lorath were gathered in the palace of the First Magister of Norvos to discuss what should be done against the New Valyrian Empire.

"Your Grace", Jaqicho Hartar said to Sansa, "on behalf of the Free City of Norvos, I thank you. It truly took a voice of reason from outside to get Belen Osten and me to stop beating each other's heads and face the real threat. Now you only have to work this miracle further south and reconcile the Three Daughters." This is how the cities of Lys, Tyrosh and Myr, which often waged war for the Disputed Lands, were called.

"That's exactly what I plan to do next", Sansa promised. "The fact that Daenerys is now going to war with Qarth gives us some time." Of course, she didn't expect the Qartheen to hold out for long, but it would take Daenerys and her forces many months to get there and back.

"But if the Empire snatches Qarth and with it control of the Jade Gates, it will have far-reaching effects", said the emissary from Pentos unhappily. "The Empress will not have enough space for the riches that will find their way into her coffers through the collection of customs and transit fees. And we will have to let our merchant ships take a detour around Great Moraq and through the Cinnamon Straits, especially as soon as the war with the empire breaks out."

"One more reason to take action against the empire", said Jaqicho Hartar, running his fingers through his impressive beard. "We also have to consider what to do about the Braavosi. If they decide to join forces with the Imperials, we will have a two-front war."

"Then we have to switch off Braavos too", stated Belen Osten.

"You can't mean that seriously!", shouted the Magister from Lorath. "We're talking about the richest and most powerful of the Free Cities!"

"So what?", growled Jaqicho Hartar. "If we don't even dare to take on Braavos, we can give up and submit to Daenerys willingly. Because compared to the Empire, Braavos is nothing. We are facing the greatest power that has existed in Essos since the fall of Old Valyria. But together we can win. Together we can keep our freedom." He reached for his wine cup and toasted the others. "Long live the League of Free Cities!"

"Long live the League of Free Cities!", agreed Belen Osten and the envoys from Pentos and Lorath.

"Long live the League of Free Cities", Sansa added. "I'll see to it that the Three Daughters join you. And I would like to add that my people in the north may not have much in common with the residents of the Free Cities, but we share the will to independence. Just like you, we will not bow to foreign rulers."

"Does that mean that you are supporting us in the fight against Daenerys?", asked the First Magister of Norvos.

"I can't promise that", Sansa replied. "You must understand that my brother, the King of the South, is still under the illusion that there can be peace with the Empire. Bran cannot command me, but I don't want to present him with a fait accompli by going to war without coordinating with him."

"I understand", said Jaqicho Hartar and sighed. "Everything would be so much easier if we could get the help of the Faceless Men."

Sansa made a face. During her stay in Braavos she had visited the House of Black and White. It was said that Faceless Men would kill anyone in the world if they were paid the price they asked, but apparently that wasn't quite true. Sansa had been told that the guild would not take on assignments that could harm Braavos' interests. So the Sealord had an inkling that someone could put the Faceless Men on Daenerys and had forestalled it by making some sort of arrangement with the assassins.

"Yes, that would make a lot of things easier", said the Queen of the North. "But the gods prefer to put us to the test. So is it a deal? You prepare your strike against Braavos while I mediate between the Three Daughters."

The four men agreed. Sansa said goodbye and prepared for the trip south.