Chapter 4

The meal was amazing. Like, seriously, the best Italian I have ever eaten. Dan opened the door for me, the cool air hitting me in the face.

“Perfect.” Dan beamed.

“It’s raining.” I stated.

“I can see that.” He smiled, pulling me into the rain. “Come on.”

“But, I’m going to get wet.” I said sadly.

“It’ll be worth it.” He promised, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I pressed myself against his side. In seconds we were walking down Grafton Street and I have to say, it looked amazing. The lights were on, it was just fabulous. We walked in silence, just enjoying the view. Dan was humming softly, it sounded a little like ‘Before the Worst’ maybe. Then completely out of the blue he stopped. St Annes was at the end of the road, only a few people were walking around. I turned to face Dan who was smiling at me, he took both my hands in his. “Amy, we’ve been together two years. And I can honestly say that these two years have been the happiest of my life. You’ve made me laugh and smile, you can cheer me up when I’m feeling down. We are best friends, we stay up late talking all night, and it’s not all been great. We’ve had our issues, but we took the joy alongside the pain. And I’m thinkin we should never be apart.” Then he did something, that in hindsight I really should have seen coming. He got down on one knee, pulling a little black velvet box out of his pocket. “Amy Thomson, will you continue to make me the happiest man in the universe and marry me?”

“OH MY GOD! Yes Danny!” I squealed, he jumped up pulling me into a hug and spinning me around. Pressing his lips against mine.

“You wanna see the ring?” He asked, the biggest smile I’ve ever seen on his face. I nodded, still barely able to believe this, he opened up the little box.

“Oh Dan.” I sighed, it was beautiful. Not to flashy or in your face. Just perfect. “You are so fucking perfect.” He slipped the ring onto my finger.

“I’m glad it fit, I was starting to worry.” He chuckled, unable to say anything else because I crashed my lips against his.

“Dan, I love you so much. These two years haven’t been easy, but you have helped fill that hole in my heart. Without you my life would be empty.”

“Let’s go home.” He decided, taking my hand.

“Now I see why you were happy it was raining.”

“It was Grafton Street on a rainy night, I was down on one knee and you were mine for life. We were thinking we would never be apart, with your name tattooed across my heart.” He sang softly. “Maybe I’ll get your named tattooed across my heart.” He laughed.

“Hmm. Maybe. Sounds a little painful.” I pointed out, he just looked down at his arm. Oh yeah. Kinda forgot about that. “Shut up. My mind is a little blown.” I looked down at my hand. I can’t believe it. This explains all the weird behaviour. It explains everything.

“Is it alright if we go to see my family tomorrow? They are going to want to know about this.”

“Of course it is Dan.”

“And then we need to pack some bags, I’m taking you somewhere. And the boys might tag along, they haven’t decided yet.” He continued.

“You are the most perfect boyfriend.”

“Fiancé.” He corrected, I felt my smile grow bigger. It was weird, having this ring on my finger, but I’ll get used to it I’m sure. Just like getting used to calling him fiancé. “And the fans will find out eventually.”

“I’m sure there are pictures going round even now.” I agreed.

“True, we can make a post or something.” He shrugged. “I don’t want to think about that now. I want to spend some quality time with my fiancée.” He wiggled his eye brows suggestively and winked at me.

“Hmm, I think I can do that.”

“Come on, jump on.” He bent down a little.

“One of the many reasons I love you.” I jumped onto his back as he gave me a piggy back ride all the way back to the flat. In fairness, it isn’t all that far and his legs are a lot longer. We probably went faster than we would have if I walked. As soon as the door was closed we were kissing, it was passionate not desperate. We took it slow, teasing almost, trying to show each other just how much the other person means to them. Taking the time to enjoy it. We lay there, the sheets thrown over us, my head against Dan’s chest, my hand resting on his stomach. My eyes were drawn to the beautiful ring on my finger. “It’s lovely Dan. I love you so much.” I sighed. “Never would I have thought we would be here. Living together, sleeping together, touring together and now engaged.”

“Baby, I couldn’t imagine spending my life with anyone else.”

“I want to be with you forever. I’m never leaving your side, it’s too late to get rid of me now.” I giggled.

“Oh no! What will I do?” He teased. “You should get some sleep. I want us to fly out tomorrow, it’ll be a busy day. Ma is expecting us for lunch, she doesn’t know what is going on. Mark and Glen are going to be there too.”

“You up for a little game Dan?” He looked a little confused. “The only two who know are Mark and Glen, maybe we should see how long we can not tell them.” He smiled at me.

“You are cruel.” He chuckled.

“Ah, I want a rerun of the hospital.” I laughed. I had told Andrea we went to Grafton Street and she thought we’d got engaged, we hadn’t even been together a month then.

“I’ll see what I can do, but it’s hard for me to not shout it to the world.”

“I know baby, can you imagine though? The boys will be going crazy, but they won’t say anything in case you didn’t ask or something.”

“Go to sleep you little schemer.” He pressed a kiss to my temple, his hand running through my hair.

“I love you so much Danno.”

“I love you even more.” I fell asleep not long after, with Dan humming a song and his steady heart beat it was nearly impossible to stay awake.

A/N - Not going to lie, this is my proudest moment. One of my persona favourites out of everything I've written and this chapter just makes me smile! :D Anyway, I couldn't decide what ring to use for this. So I have two, one I'll post today and one in tomorrow's chapter, it would be great if you could tell me which one you prefer! Please vote and comment XXD