Chapter 20

“See you in three days Miss Thomson.” Dan chuckled, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

“Can’t wait babe.” I laughed, moving to kiss his lips. Dan is heading off for his stag weekend, of course the idiots want a whole weekend. Glen has assured me he will be on time and sober, two nights of drinking and one of recovery. What could go wrong? I don’t want to think about it. Mark and Glen are sharing best-man duties. Hopefully Glen has made sure there’s nothing to stupid planned. We are having a little party ourselves, I can’t really say that though. Andrea is sorting all that out for us, being the only one who knows Dublin well enough. Kim is my maid of honour, she has been my closest friend through it all, well not closest, but definitely longest. Andrea, Mandy, Vicky and Susan are bridesmaids, we are keeping the actual wedding fairly small, so we decided that 4 bridesmaids and a maid of honour was enough. After all, Dan only has Glen and Mark, in reality we only have a small number of close friends. Me, Mandy and Vicky, Dan’s other’s sisters, aren’t as close. Though they are lovely, every O’Donoghue seems to be.

“Come on, your last few days of freedom!” Mark called, a smile on his face as he dragged Dan from the room.

“I’ll keep an eye on the both of them. I promise you.” Glen assured me, giving me a hug. “He will be present and sober if it’s the last thing I do.”

“Thanks Glen. Enjoy yourself.”

“The only sober one? I doubt it.” He chuckled. “You girls behave yourselves too.” He winked playfully before heading out.

“Finally!” Susan sighed with a smile.

“Oh god? Really? What are we doing?” I asked, a little terrified. The build-up has been quiet and that can only be bad for me.

“Shh. Secret.” Andrea chuckled.

“Guys, you promised this would not be crazy.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got your back.” Kim insisted, giving me a quick hug. “They are just trying to get you worked up a little. Forget it.” I nodded and smiled.

“Alright, come on then. Let’s get this party started.” I laughed and let them lead the way. God knows what we are getting into. In fact, I think I know, tonight we’ll get drunk and tomorrow we will bond over rom-com’s and ice-cream. I may have accidently found their stash of films. And then a day of whatever. Then wedding time. Fuck. At least this will distract me a little.

Before I knew it the weekend was over.

August 20th Monday 2018. The day of the wedding. And I am beyond nervous.

“What if he has changed his mind?” I asked for like the 100th time.