1. Her Third Year

Lydia is a 3rd year student at Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, placed on her first day into the legendary house of Gryffindor. During her time there, she realised how lucky she was to have even been placed in that house - Harry Potter is in that house. The Harry Potter.

The one she heard whispers of from the moment she entered the wizard world. You see, Lydia Bailey is a muggleborn - it simply means she was born to parents with no magical abilities what so ever. They think she's the first in her family, possibly ever, or in a very long time. But it made a lot of sense as to explaining why she was so... Peculiar. Still, when that letter arrived on her doorstep the day she turned 11, her parents laughed a little too hard. Of all their children (of which there are 5), it would be Loopy Lydia that got the magical powers. Her father always joked she's a walking catastrophe, that giving her magic is a silly joke on someone's behalf.

She is actually a very clever student, top of her class. She even gives Hermione Granger, one of the best students in her house and possibly the history of the school, a run for her money. In a way? Her determination to prove she deserves her powers is what drives her to do good. To do the homework the moment she gets it, to study rather than join in the games. She does enjoy the odd quidditch match, of course, so long as Gryffindor are playing; and she very much loves watching the Weasley twins try so hard at selling their... Creations. They have a mind more mischievous than hers used to be.

Back home, with her siblings and her parents, she was a terrible child. Always getting told off at school, always hurting herself doing something silly, always being told off for being too chaotic. And, like I said before, that all changed when she got her letter. She has to prove herself. Especially to her parents, and more importantly to other wizards. Pure bloods hate muggleborns with a passion.

And, lucky for her, she's currently at school with one of the worst pure bloods she's ever heard of - other than 'he who shall not be named'. Draco Malfoy is one of the worst human beings she has ever come across; he is a vile boy a Slytherin. As a 4th year with Harry Potter, he's always there to make trouble. In his first year he tried to get Harry expelled - professor McGonagall had other ideas and put him in the quidditch team. Second year he congured a snaked during a duel with Potter but that failed, and he also made the quidditch team for his house and tried to take Harry out that way. Poor sod didn't stand a chance. And last year, in his third year, he faked injury to get the Care of Magical Creatures teacher, Hagrid, fired to spire Harry and his friends, and tried to get Hagrid's Hippogriff, Buckbeak, killed. Again, he failed.

Who knows what'll happen this year - Lydia dreads to think. But, as usual, she'll keep her head down and just get on with it. Being a third year is cooler than being a first or second year - not much different, but still. New things to learn, new charms to conquer. Plus she got to choose two courses of her own to study.

She's ready. So ready.

-

Lydia sits alone in a compartment of the train, her eyes following the scenery outside the window. They only set off from the station about a half hour ago so they have a while to go, probably about 7 or so hours. She doesn't mind that fact, it means she gets some down time before they get there and unpack and feast and everything crazy that happens on the first day. Her whole summer was spent running after her siblings; she's the oldest of 5, with 4 younger brothers. Surprisingly, school is her down time.

She's startled as the door suddenly opens, a mess of wavy hair peaking in. "Oh! Oh gosh, I'm so sorry!" A girl shrieks.

Lydia looks up as her heart races, her eyes meeting Hermione Granger's. "I-It's fine." She smiles warmly.

Hermione smiles wide suddenly. "You're Lydia Bailey." She says, plonking down on the bench seat opposite Lydia, beside where she rests her feet.

Lydia blushes and puts the book mark in her book, closing it. "That's me. Hello."