27 - Right Place, Wrong person

JACKS POV
I saw Emily walk through the doors of the stowaway and I smiled sadly. People looked but when she didn't pay them any attention they went back to their own business. Emily sat on a stool at the bar, "Hey Em, how's Laura?" She'd told me bits and pieces over the phone.
"She's good. Now can I get a drink here or what?" She smiled.
"Sure... What do you want?" It wasn't like Emily to act like this so I was concerned.
"Whatever you have going" she winked and I got out a drink with the least amount of alcohol we had and gave it to her. She chuckled, "Come on Jack. Can I come around the back?" I nodded because I wanted to keep an eye on her anyway.

She walked around next to me and grabbed a shot glass and filled it up and drank it. A few hours later and quite a few shots later people were leaving and Emily was the only one here.
"Jack come dance with me" she laughed and pulled me into the middle of the bar.

EMILYS POV
I knew I wasn't thinking straight but I didn't care and I danced with Jack, he started out uncomfortable but then laughed. We finally stopped and I stood with my hands on his shoulders, "So.." I looked at him and laughed.
"I think I should get you home." He said.
"A true gentleman... I wish Daniel was more like you. You would never leave me and Charlie and Laura for no reason with no explanation. I just want to know what I did Jack" I sighed and looked into his eyes.
"Emily, this is not your fault, it's Daniels and you can't blame yourself" he spoke softly and I moved my head closed to his and leaned in and kissed him.

He didn't do anything at first but then he kissed me back passionately.
I smiled under the kiss and then pulled away. He looked upset.
"What's wrong?" I asked him.
"This isn't right, you're married Emily." He said with a sigh.
I smiled sadly, "To a husband who hasn't been seen for over a month."
He nodded slightly, "I think you need to go home and get some sleep."
I shook my head, "I want to stay here, I want to be with you Jack"
"No you don't, you're trying to find comfort after Daniel. Come on." He took my hand and lead me outside and I saw a figure walking away. I could've sworn it looked just like...
"Emily, get into the car" Jack said and I obeyed him. He drove me home and I went inside. Jack waved goodbye and got into his car.

I walked upstairs and climbed into my bed not noticing the note that was sitting there.

THE NEXT MORNING
I woke to a pounding headache and ran to the bathroom and threw up. I walked out and saw a note lying on the floor. I walked downstairs and poured myself a drink of water and got some panadol.
I read the note aloud to myself,
Dear Emily,
I know I hurt you by leaving but believe me when I say it was for your own good. I wanted to tell you this in person but I knew if I did then I wouldn't be able to leave and you would be in danger. After everything that happened with your father some people have come after me, they threatened our family and I couldn't risk your or the kids safety. I know how stubborn you are and if I told you then you would want to fight them but I couldn't do that, I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. That's why I told you that I didn't love you so I could leave and you wouldn't come looking. I hope you don't come looking, don't put our kids in danger Emily, please. No one knows where I'm going and I will no tell anyone. I hope I can return to you one day. Laura and Charlie are the luckiest children to have you as their mother. Tell David I'm sorry to have put you through this pain. Emily, I love you and I'm so sorry it has to be this way, forgive me. From Daniel. P.S. This is the hardest thing I've had to do in my life.

Tears were rolling down my cheeks as I read it. And something had fallen out of the envelope, I picked it up and saw it was a locket with pictures of Charlie and Laura as newborns. I put it on and held it close to my heart. Flashes of the previous night played through my mind and I cried harder. I just wanted Daniel back.