Blanket pt 1

Her small footsteps echoed loudly in the gloomy building. 5  year old Sophie Foster wrapped her small hands around herself to keep herself warm. Shadows loomed over her and she shivered .She ran towards the mantel and warmed herself near the fireplace. She carefully observed the pictures on the mantel. 20 plus children were crammed in the hallway with a tall cold looking woman in the middle. All of them had grim smiles except for one boy.

He was smirking and he stood  out among the children who looked like statues.

Sophie liked him,he was not like the rest. She brushed her tiny fingers over the dusty wood tracing patterns absent mindedly.

"Miss Foster,do not place your sticky hands around the mantel please"

Sophie jerked her hand away and twirled around to see the cold women she had seen before.Her grey eyes bored into her,making her hug Ella tightly.Her heels clacked against the marble floor as she walked towards her.She tsked as she fixed Sophie's pigtails and brushed off a bit of dirt from her face.

"Jolie is going to show you to your room and want to you to clean up and change into the already provided pyjamas.Be in bed by 8,"

Sophie nodded and the women walked away and a blond girl replaced her.

She had long blond hair , like Sophie's but way more prettier and turquoise eyes that made Sophie smile.

"Hey Sophie! I am Jolie and I live here too,so I am practically your elder sister"

She grabbed Sophie's hand and led her towards her room.

"There will be another person in your room too.His name is Keefe Sencen and he is 6,"

Sophie started to get nervous.So many new faces.Until last week she was with Mama and Pappa with Baby Amy until something happened.

Jolie stopped by a huge doorway and urged Sophie to go in,saying a prompt good bye and left.Sophie reached out and opened the door and gasped.

The mundane grey walls were painted with beautiful scenery and animals. Sophie walked towards the painting of an alicorn and ran her  hands over it.

"I see that you like my painting,"

Sophie turned around to see the kid who was smirking in the photo on the mantel.He had messy blond hair and very pretty eyes that gave Sophie the warmth that the orphanage lacked.

"I like it a lot ,"

Keefe smiled and stuck out his hand.Sophie shook his hand and felt like all those times she had Mama's hot chocolateThe warmth flooded her.

Sophie let go of his hand and walked to the cupboard and grabbed her pyjamas.They were grey and very rough but all of Sophie's clothes were lost in the fire.She quickly changed and got in bed.

She tossed and turned but the bed was so rough it was so difficult to fall asleep.

The memories rushed into her mind.The smoke,the heat.Mama and Papa fainted on the ground and smoke engulfing the house.Baby Amy screaming and soon all the noise was gone.No signs of breathing as the fire cornered her.

"MAMA!PAPA!SAVE ME!"

Sophie wailed out and woke up,panting.Tears rolled down her rosy chubby cheeks and Sophie felt so lonely.She hugged Ella and rubbed away her tears but the memories still haunted her.She felt so cold and empty.No one was there for her.All she could do is live out her life in a boring orphanage.Sophie started sobbing into her hand.

Then there was a sudden warmth.Sophie looked up to see Keefe wrapping the softest blanket around her,giving her a hug.

"You okay Sophie?"

Sophie nodded but Keefe knew better.Sophie looked at the fabric.It was nice and soft and ice blue,the same colour of Keefe's eyes.His full name was embroidered on the corner.Sophie snuggled into the blanket,apologising for covering his pretty blanket with tears and snot.

"It's ok you need it more than me,"

And slowly Keefe helped her get back in bed and tucked her in with his  blanket.He smiled softly as he held her hand and went to his bed a feet away.She breathed in his scent on the blanket and the comforting warmth for his hand lulled her to a nightmare free sleep. 

For the first time in 2 weeks, Sophie Foster felt like she was at home all because of Keefe Sencen.