Part 23

After Martha ended the call, the room was dead silent as they watched Edward clutched his chest, wincing in pain.

New almost pressed the buzzer to call for a nurse but Edward stopped him.

"Listen, all of you," Edward said with an expression so dark that nobody dared to make a sound. "Do not leave this room. I will take care of things. They're doing all of this because of me."

He started walking towards the door before saying, "Whatever happens, Victoria, Bright, remember that I love you. I am no longer the man who did this crime a long, long time ago. I hope someday you'll be able to forgive me."

With that, he stormed out of the room.

A few seconds after Edward had left, everyone in the room stayed still, as if they were surrounded by bombs that would explode anytime. Victoria cried quietly while Bright's face was white as paper.

Seeing his friends looking like that, New took a deep breath and approached Tay.

"Please call Nanon in and stay here with Tita Victoria. Give her everything she needs," he said.

Turning to Chimon, he said, "Chi, I'm putting you in charge of Pluem, okay?"

"Yes kuya," Chimon immediately replied.

New then walked towards Victoria. "Tita," he said as he placed his hand on top of hers. "I have no words to make you feel better at this moment but please know I'll do my best to make sure Fiat comes home safe. Tay and Nanon will take care of you in the meantime."

Victoria just nodded, unable to speak through her tears.

Next, New sat beside Bright and placed his arm around his shoulders.

"I can't even imagine how you're feeling right now but please trust me one more time. Stay here with your mom and Win okay?"

Bright didn't respond.

"Bright, please. Promise me you'll stay here and wait for my call. I promise to give you an update as soon as possible. Come on, say you'll wait for my call."

Bright slowly nodded, then covered his face with his hands as began to cry.

New could no longer control his own feelings. He pulled Bright in just in time before he began bawling.

"No one will die, okay? I'll bring Fiat back here, safe and alive in less than two hours. Trust me."

"But how?" Bright finally spoke.

"I'll find a way. No one is going to hurt you nor Fiat. Over my dead body."

"New!" Tay and Win uttered at the same time.

New slowly let go of Bright.

"Win, watch over our friend here. Don't let him get out of this room. Never take your eyes off him, please."

"O-okay," Win replied as he continued to console Bright.

New avoided Tay's gaze and stood up.

"I'll be back in less than two hours with Fiat," he said. "Tita Victoria, Bright, hang in there please."

As New walked out of the door, Tay rushed after him.

"Love," he said.

"Tay, don't worry about me. I know what I'm doing. I need you to focus on keeping Bright and Tita Victoria here. God knows what Tito Edward is planning to do. And please take care of my brother too. I need you to take care of everyone while I'm away."

Tay didn't respond. Instead, he embraced New as if he would never see him again, not giving a damn about the people passing by them.

"Be safe, okay?" he whispered.