chapter twenty-nine

September 13.

Abby's POV:

I stood over Spencer's casket. Tissue in my left hand, his wedding ring in my right. I wiped the tears from my eyes, trying to hold my composure as the team stood behind me. They tried to hold me back for as long as possible, but at the crime scene, I got through eventually. On the spot, I said my last 'I love you' as he died in my arms. Now, we were giving him a proper goodbye.

"I guess people speak at funerals, so I thought I would say something. Spencer was my best friend. He was my soulmate. My everything. Gosh." I looked down at the casket holding him.

"Used to steal your parents' liquor and climb to the roof, talking about our future like we had a clue. You wanted to be a chemist, and I thought one day I would be a nurse. Somehow, we both ended up in the FBI. I never, in a million years, thought I would be standing here, having to say goodbye. In another life, I would probably still be your girl, just because you'll never get rid of me." I smiled a bit through my tears.

"We would keep all of our promises, especially forever and always. And I know you promised that, standing under the oak tree in my backyard, when we were five. Sunflower in your hand. Gosh, now I sound like you remembering everything. It would be us against the world, not just psychopaths." I looked up, seeing everyone else in tears.

"I never thought that when I held your hand for the last time, that it was actually the last. Ugh, you idiot, I can't believe you died on me. Goodness, you should've at least lived a day longer than me so I didn't have to be alone. But, I know you wouldn't want me to be sad. I love you Spencer Walter Reid. Forever and always. I will always love you, now until the end of time." I began to sob as I walked off the stage, collapsing into Morgan's arms. He too began to cry.

"It's okay, it's okay." Morgan pulled me in closer.

"Please tell me this is just a dream." I wiped my hair out of my face, turning to Garcia.

"He's gone." Garcia let a tear slip out.

--------

Spencer's POV:

We had a late night at the office, getting cases sorted out. Next week, we would be taking on a new agent. I didn't get why we needed another, I mean, isn't seven enough? I didn't understand why, but Strauss claims it's something to do with improvements around the FBI. It puzzled my mind that she wanted to improve our unit, anyone would swear she hated us the most. But, I didn't blame her, we did give her a bunch of paper work.

"Hey, I'm gonna go grab us some dinner." Emily stood up from her seat at the round table, grabbing her purse, as Morgan followed. Everyone else had left, so it was only Abby and I. Well, technically just me, Abby was fast asleep in my lap.

"No no no." I could hear Abby mumble. She began to shake as tears ran down her face, before I grabbed her hand, calming her down.

"Spencer!" she began to raise her voice. I pulled her up out of my lap, immediately waking her. That's when the water works came.

"Hey hey it's okay." I pulled her into my arms as she cried on my shoulder.

"I- I lost you." she attempted to explain through her tears.

"Shhh, I'm right here." I rubbed her back slowly, holding her tight. I sat there for a few minutes, getting her to calm down.

"I'm sorry." she pulled her face out of my neck, wiping her tears.

"It's okay. Do you want to talk about it?" I reached down to hold her hand. 

"Later." JJ walked into the room, holding another stack of case files as Abby got up and left to Garcia's office.