8] Robin training

When you do something often enough it becomes a routine.

A normal mundane task.

If you grow up with it, it becomes a part of you that you can never just shake off or escape.

Sometimes why would you want to?

Other times, you only wish you could.

***

Peter walked out of the training room wanting to go find his Pops or Natasha, his dad had left with Batman over fifteen minutes ago and still wasn't back yet. He turned the corner to leave the hall but stopped when he caught sight of Damian in the opposite training room.

Damian stood with his katana sword positioned outward in front of him, he tactfully sliced the air around him as if it were a deadly opponent he was trying to ward off.

His movements were fluid and precise, there was a complicated rhythm to them as he took a step forward, then back, then to the left, forward again, back, to the right, back, forward.

"What are you doing here?" his voice cut through the silence of only his steps and the steel whipping of wind. His tone was emotionless, somewhat deep, and eerily light at the same time.

It startled Peter his brain trying to think of an excuse as to why he was watching the intriguing boy, but as he opened his mouth to stutter it out a figure from the opposite side of the room floated toward Damian.

"Thought you might want a sparring partner," Jon replied his feet touching the ground as he landed in front of his best friend.

"Thought you were spending the day with your brother," Damian said as he drew the katana back to his chest before pushing it out again with such a sharp quickness that Peter would have definitely mistaken it for superspeed.

But he knew none of the Robins had powers, at least that's what his two fathers had told him.

"I was..." Jon trailed off taking a step forward to knock the katana out of Damian's hands with one swift movement, "but now I'm here."

Damian followed the clattered noise of his sword hitting the ground before looking back at Jon and smirking, "alright," was all he said.

Jon returned it with a bright smile.

To say Peter was confused was an understatement, why did Robin seem almost happy about Superboy's challenge and why did Superboy smile like he hadn't just disrespected Robin?

Maybe this was just what they were like here, he finally concluded.

Damian took a hold of his weapon again and brought it over his shoulder until it was pointing an inch away from Jon's chest

The two circled around each other before Jon made the first move, clapping his two hands over the edge of the katana so Damian couldn't force it forward or pull it back.