Chapter 8: I Have This Friend

"Luca!!" The squad gasped as they finally found him. The lad jerked his head over his shoulder upon hearing his name. "...H-How did you---" Before Luca could even finish, Hercules tackled him into a hug. "We thought you were eaten or something!" He goes. 

"...W-What?---" Luca utters. But before Luca could react about that situation any further, Hercules began squeezing him into that hug, basically crushing Luca's small bones, and cutting off his oxygen supply. 

Luca pat Hercule's back. "Yo, I-I can't breathe..." He coughs. Hercules immediately pulled away then. "Oops, sorry."

"..I-It's okay." Luca answered back as he gasped for air. There were so many things the guys wanted to ask Luca but momentarily, they will take back their questions for now and hold it in. They don't have another repeat of earlier, after all. John let out a sigh. "Look, whatever happened earlier, we're sorry. We must've pressured you with all those questions."

"Plus, it was my fault for letting the others take a peek with what's inside and all. We were really curious as of what was in there; especially since it was awfully heavy, which meant for it to have a lot of stuff in there." Lafayette admitted, shamefully.

Luca took in a deep breath before answering back to them. He knows that it is no use to try and argue back at them. And it isn't really like to him to be an angry midget, unlike Alexander on the other hand.

"I should be sorry too, actually." Luca spoke up. "I'm sorry I just suddenly ran out like that... I-I was having a really bad day, and what happened in the tent really stressed me out."

"It's alright. We can already tell from what happened to your clothes, " Alexander stated. Luca looked back at his tainted uniform. "Heh.. Yeah.."

Baguette stood up and was also shown affection from his own owner, Lafayette.

"So, we're good now?" John asks. Luca nods with a smile. "Mhm," He answers. The other four smile at his positive response. Afterwards, they all began heading back to the camp. 

Even though it seems like they are all okay again, the guys are still waiting for the perfect timing to ask about the stuff Luca had. While as Luca was mentally screaming inside - trying to prepare himself for the worst. Albeit the only plan he really has is to follow Aaron's advice - talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're in or what you're for. 

And so, the trip back was pretty awkward and rather quiet. At some point, Alexander spoke up and asked about what ever the heck happened to Luca's clothes. Luca was going to vent about Baguette, but seeing as how Baguette comforted him earlier and voluntarily stay with him, he decided to blame it on somebody else instead.

Shortly after, John also told Luca that they're all going to be staying together in one tent. At least they will be all be sticking together still. Luca was quite happy and relieved to hear that.

When they got back to their tent, Luca immediately shoved all his stuff back into the backpack and hid the backpack at a corner of his side in the tent. 

Since there wasn't really anything the other guys could say anymore - as well as noticing that this isn't really the best time for Luca to explain about his things - they all went to sleep.

. . .

A week has passed, and a lot has happened. For the sake of plot, Alexander became General Washington's right hand man. Aaron's a bit salty, but it's not like he's gonna plan a murder out loud. Luca has also been going with his "Talk less, smile more" plan. Aside from that, nothing much as been happening really. Luca's just been doing his duties, delivering letters back and forth, passing by the guys from time to time, and sometimes even getting to see Layla and as well as chatting with her for a bit.