Moving and Shyness

Charlie's POV

   I sit on my bed as I look around my room, and for the first time in seventeen years, it's empty.

   I've lived here all my life, but since my mom died, it hasn't really been the same since then. Dad and I find too many ghost lurking around the halls when all we want to do is be happy like we promised Mom we would be.

   He tries to stay strong for me, and I know that I don't make it easy on him, with how sensitive and shy I am, but I know he cares.

   We never really knew how to talk to each other, the former drill sergeant not familiar with the concept of soft and sweet like my mom was. And without her here to be a translator or my best friend like she was for my whole life, we barely even talk anymore. Not that it's much of a change.

    I feel my eyes water as I think about leaving our home.

   My head is telling me that I should be relieved that I won't have the walk the same halls she did everyday. That I won't walk through the door and expect to see her sitting in the living room typing away on her computer.

    My heart is wishing that I would never let those thoughts of her go and to sit in her favorite spot even if it hurts. Even if it's been almost a year. And not only that but we're moving to a new city two hours away.

    Kaulike, the town of humans and supernatural alike. One of the biggest integrated cities in America.

    I'm terrified.

    While our town have a few Supers, they mostly keep to themselves. So much so that I've never ever talked to one. Everyone says they're just like normal people with their personalities and families, but the powers and talents are a bit nerve wracking.

     Not to mention that the school I'm transferring to is going to be filled with them.

   I can feel my chest begin to get tight at the thought of it but before my mind can wander too far, there's a soft knock on my door and I turn to see my Dad pushing it open slowly, appearing in the gap with a tired smile as he looks around my barren room.

    "The last time it looked like this you were a baby. Time flies." He says, and even when he's being quiet there's not mistaking the boom and authority in his voice but I can tell he's trying to be soft.

     "Feels like yesterday I wanted to be a ballerina." I answer, though my cheeks are stained red and my voice is small.

     My father laughs, his face holding a bit of surprise at my answer back to him. While he's never been anything but sweet and caring to our family, I couldn't help but he slightly intimidated but his large six four build and strong loud voice. I'm always my shyest around people like that and it was thought living with one, especially when I ran away from any interaction with him.

    People scare me.

    Especially tough guys.

    I would much rather play mermaids with my nieces and cats with my nephews than to have to talk to the real world about real things.

    The pretend it much easier to deal with.

    "No not yesterday. Definitely last week." He jokes back and he actually gets a laugh out of me that makes him smile before he sighs and gestures for me to follow him. "Come on, son. It's time we kept our promise."

     I turn away from him for a moment to make sure that the tears that just slammed into my eyes don't fall over, knowing that someone like him wouldn't get it.