‼️ Anxiety Disorder‼️

Blog by: BluandPenguino.

Panic attacks are a reaction that is exaggerated; typically deviating from one’s typical response to fear or excitement

Panic attacks are a reaction that is exaggerated; typically deviating from one’s typical response to fear or excitement. However, sometimes these attacks will occur with no obvious cause. ‘2% of people are affected by panic disorder.’

                     What is it?

Typically, fear or excitement causes the body to produce adrenaline, (a hormone). This hormone prepares the individual for ‘fight or flight’. When an individual has a panic attack, any seemingly normal or congruent thought/image causes the symptoms as described below. Each attack can last about 20 minutes and cause great discomfort to the individual. At times, they may misinterpret their symptoms for a heart attack and as a result, the fear could worsen; intensifying the feeling of suffocation as more adrenaline is produced. Once an individual begins to experience a panic attack regularly, they may live in a state of ‘fear the fear’ where they anticipate and fear the next panic attack; as a result, causing more to occur. This can cause everyday tasks and activities to become a challenge to the individual.

         What are the symptoms?

-Increased heart rate

-Feeling faint

-Sweating

-Choking sensation

-Dilated pupils

-Slowed digestion

-Dry mouth

             What are the causes?

‘One in 10 people suffer from occasional panic attacks’, but panic disorder is much more uncommon. The disorder is more typically triggered by traumatic life experiences, (such as bereavement). However, it is thought that having a close family member who has panic disorder increases an individual’s chance of developing it themselves. Also, some environmental factors and illnesses can either worsen or increase the risk of panic disorder.

There are three main treatments for panic attacks:

-Cognitive behavioural therapy.

-Support groups.

-Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI’s).

However, you can help by raising awareness of this disorder. Remember, awareness is power. With awareness, you can look for the symptoms above in the people around you; or in yourself and provide them with counsel. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please contact a GP or online helpline.

And remember…