Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE: THE NYMPH AND THE MEDIC

Once I learned, I went online and ordered every romance novel I could find. They're fairy tales for grown-ups.
-Gena Showalter

Once upon a time, a nobleman's daughter named Theophania Snowiteldeck. She was called Lady Tiff or Snowite due to her surname and she lived in a castle with her father, the Lord, and her stepmother, the mean fairy Duchess. 

Her father had always said to his daughter that she must be fair to everyone at court. Said he, "People come here to the courts when they have a problem. They need everyone that can to make a fair decision. Nothing is more important than to be fair."

Before she died however, her mother reminded her that sometimes to get your way, you have to do unfair things for the right reasons.

The Duchess was going to kill Lady Snowite, so the nymph stole all of her step-mother's gold and left.

She left and ran into the woods as fast as she could. Deeper and deeper she ran. 

 It was getting dark, and the wolves were starting to howl. Scared, she tripped and her skirt was torn. Tall tree branches seemed to reach down to the very ground to grab her as her nymph blood called to them to keep her safe. 

Yet she ran on.

Then when she was about to give up and create a little bed in a tree, there was a light. It was a cottage, a small lovely looking thing that warmth and light seemed to pour out of.

Inside there was a dwarf, bent over a fire with his glasses on the tip of his nose and medical tools taking form right in front of her as she watched him work. That dwarf, a medic named Tomyslava Eldridge, let her stay the night.

Then the next night.

And the next.

Suddenly, neither of them wanted her to leave.

Tom was the doctor and Tiff was known as the animal whisperer, a vet. 

Nymphs are rare in his dwarf filled village, and she trusted him when the medic said dwarfs multiplied like bunnies. Tom himself had six brothers- -Gary, Dan, Han, Bon, Sam and Sean- -that all work in the mines.

So you could imagine their surprise when they both got home from their jobs to find a witch with golden wings and a elf at their front door, asking to be taken in for the night.

They said yes.

Although for the leader, ambushing someone with information about their mission is normal behavior, for the nymph and medic it wasn't.

"We're going to right the wrong and kill the Wicked Queen." Archer is the one to say his, his calming aura wrapping around Tiff and Tom. "And we want you both to be there for it."

Neither of them knew what to say.

"We've acquired a team of specific people who will help us accomplish this goal and you both are the last piece of the puzzle. You aren't allowed to know why someone else was chosen, why you were chosen or any of our names. You can't tell anyone your real name. Only tell someone your name if you're willing to get killed for and by them. You'll chose your own nickname or we will call you Stealth. If you do tell others your names and the mission is compromised dire consequences will ensue." 

"In other words," The nymph says, crossing her arms. "You'll kill us."

Locks shrugs, "If it's severe enough."

Tom gulps, looking to his love then back at the witch-fairy. "What could we even do for you? We're not fighters of any sort."

"You're a doctor and she's a vet-" And she's quite rich and they're running out of money to stay in the inns. "-we have a werewolf on our team that fights in his wolf form, if he gets severely injured he would have to be treated while in that form. Your jobs would be helping people when they're hurt, something you already do. We'll teach you some basic ways to fight. As doctors, you'd be protected above the rest of us so as long as you don't kill us on purpose or ruin the mission, nothing bad will happen to you."