𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔.

A FEW DAYS LATER.

Eleanor found herself riding to Rhodes a few days after the murder of Charlie Tatum. Since she moved to Ringneck Creek she had been contemplating on checking with Alden, the man at the train station to see if he had any secretive business she could possibly benefit from. The plan had been pushed back because of the train she had robbed and then finding out information on Charlie. 

Eleanor kept her face covered with a bandana as she rode, travellers who passed her assumed it was to protect herself from the horrid dust storms Rhodes often had. However she covered her face to avoid anyone recognising her after her name seemed to be quite popular in the News lately. She got sick of feeling like a caged animal in her own camp so she decided it was time. The Law probably assumed she had moved on by now anyway.

As for Arthur she hadn't seen him since. She was worried for him because of Dutch and Micah but she could only hope he was okay. She could imagine he was trying to get to Dutch and make him see clearly. As for Micah... she didn't really know much about him but seeing Arthur's hostility against the man must mean something. She could sense the man was bad. 

Eleanor arrived at Rhodes, passing the sign that swung from the slightest bit of wind, the old hinges squeaking as the sign shifted. The town was full of Grays since they overtook the town, Eleanor spotted three of them standing outside the train station talking to each other. Keeping to herself, she and Seyfret stopped at a hitching post outside. Eleanor hitched the horse before walking up the steps.

"Ma'am, no masks inside," One of the Grays called out to her. She looked at the man for a moment, the other two also looking at her.

"Relax, it was just for the dust," Eleanor grumbled as she continued walking, pulling down the bandana once her back was to them. She pushed through the double doors, heading to the counter immediately. Eleanor tapped the counter with a finger, alerting Alden of her arrival. He looked up at the woman before rushing to her aid.

"How may I help you, miss?" He asked politely. Eleanor leaned against the counter, lowering her voice.

"I heard you run a secret business," she explained. The man nodded before realisation sparked in his eyes. Eleanor frowned as the man hurried off, looking through a lockbox full of papers. He didn't say a word as he picked up a piece of paper and returned to her. 

"This one is for you," he explained. "A stage is riding through Cumberland Falls this afternoon, if you're quick you can catch it in time," Alden explained. Eleanor took the paper from his hand, noticing the lack of eye contact the man made with her. Perhaps he recognised her or was just a nervy feller. "Do be careful," he quickly muttered. She frowned at him, pausing as she looked at him. "It's dangerous work."

"Trust me," Eleanor smiled at the man. "I can just about handle any fool. Thank you, Alden," Eleanor thanked him. The man simply nodded before hurrying away, keeping his back to her. Eleanor frowned before leaving, pulling her bandana up as she got outside. The three Grays still stood outside, looking at her. The same man who called her out was about to again but Eleanor quickly stopped him. "I'm leaving," she informed with a grunt. The man was quick to shut his mouth as Eleanor walked back to Seyfret. She stood beside the horse, looking at the note for herself.