𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐.

︾

Arthur, Charles and John slowed their horses as they abandoned the trees that surrounded Clemen's Point, coming into the opening. The camp looked lively as usual, but Arthur's eyes were caught on the table which Dutch and Hosea sat at, Micah lingering behind by Dutch's tent like a bad smell. Arthur immediately felt his nose screw up in disgust at the sight of the blonde man. Him and Micah never got along but knowing what he did to Eleanor made him see the man with more hate than he didn't imagine was possibly. He wanted to just march into the camp and beat his face into a pulp, it wouldn't be hard seeing he is still recovering from his wounds like Eleanor. 

"Easy," Charles muttered to Arthur. Arthur drew his gaze away from Micah to see Charles looking at him in concern. "You staring daggers at him will only make matters worse," Charles whispered. Arthur took a deep breath, Charles was right. 

The men dismounted their horses and walked into camp, Dutch with his feet up on the table watching the three men as they walked in with a cigar in hand. Hosea noticed Dutch's gaze and turned around in his seat to see the three of them, Hosea's face falling as he knew an argument was about to break out. Micah immediately slithered over, already at Dutch's side as the man stared at them. 

"You boys best tell me where you was," Dutch started. Arthur watched as the man kicked his feet down and rose from his chair, his eye contact with Arthur did not break for a second. Dutch knew Arthur was the one to blame, not Charles or John. Arthur preferred it that way. Hosea called out to Dutch to stop but Dutch continued. "and you best not lie to me because I know exactly where you was," Dutch growled. With his voice raised, attention from the other gang members became raised and slowly everyone began to form around them. 

"Valentine," Arthur answered boldly, standing his ground. "What you're doin' is wrong, Dutch," Arthur gave him a slight nod. Arthur could see the anger steaming off of Dutch, the vein in his forehead beginning to bulge. 

"That bitch was going to hang, she was going to be out of the picture once an-"

"She ain't an enemy, Dutch," Arthur cut him off. Charles and John stayed by his side, Hosea calling out to Dutch to stop again.

"Dutch!" Hosea snapped, trying his best to stop him from causing a scene. Dutch ignored his best friend of many years, his eyes locked onto Arthur as they burned into his soul. Arthur wasn't afraid of Dutch and that enraged Dutch more than anything. 

"So you've been seeing her?" Dutch grumbled. Arthur returned the stare not saying a word. "Have you been seeing her?" Dutch raised his voice, anger spilling out. Arthur nodded.

"I have. She's not a threat, Dutch. She wants nothing to do with us," Arthur explained. Arthur heard Bill scoff in disbelief from the crowd. Arthur didn't dare look at the fool.