𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎.

The group rode hard until they reached Eleanor's camp at Ringneck Creek. Eleanor's breath was heavy as her thigh caused her agonising pain but she was proud of herself for pushing through it otherwise the four of them would all be dead. 

"This is a nice spot you got, lady," John admired as the group came to a halt. The man looked over his shoulder at her, Eleanor simply nodding at him. He frowned, noticing her growing pale face. "You alright?" His voice laced with concern. Eleanor tried to nod again but she felt horribly faint that she just sat there, the corners of her eyes blackening out as she threatened to pass out. Eleanor heard the muffled voices around her as her sense began to fade out before she was brought back to reality quite quickly to find herself with her arms around Arthur and Charles as they helped her over to her sleeping roll sheltered by her weathered tent. 

"'Leg must be pretty bad," Arthur muttered with a grunt as the two men lowered her down carefully. Eleanor winced as pain shot through her when she applied weight for a split second. "We should get a look at it." Charles nodded in agreement before the man looked over at John.

"You keep an eye out for law, I don't think we were followed but just to be safe," Charles informed John. John nodded, seeming like he wanted to avoid seeing her wound. They all knew it was going to be bad. John disappeared as Arthur began unwrapping the rotting bandage, carefully ensuring her didn't accidently bump the wound. Eleanor looked up at the two men, both the men looking at the wound in disgust. 

"I'm just goin' rip your pants a little to get a better look," Arthur informed her. Eleanor nodded at him before hearing the material rip, the breeze that rustled through the trees nipped at her skin around the wound, causing her to flinch a little. "It's all red around it," Arthur informed. Eleanor sat up, propping herself up with both her elbows. Both the men immediately turned their attention to her, ushering her to lay back down.

"Stop it, the both of you. I know what I'm doing," she grunted at the two men. She looked at the wound, feeling sick at the sight. It was badly infected. The redness around the wound was irritated and screamed to be scratched and the yellow ooze that continued to creep out of the wound was a visible factor that the wound was clearly infected. At least the bleeding had stopped but other than that the bounty hunter didn't help her at all. If she got away, which she did, the infection would have killed her if not treated and he knew that. "Son of a bitch," Eleanor muttered, her lips squeezing together tightly as she began to see red. 

"We need water and honey," Charles explained to Arthur. The man frowned at the man in confusion.

"Honey?" Arthur asked in curiosity. Charles nodded at him.

"Helps with swelling the inflammation," he explained to him. "You'll have to run to the General Store to get some, or go back to camp. I'd prefer the first option," Charles murmured. Eleanor agreed with him silently, Arthur returning to camp to collect honey would be suspicious, especially to Micah and Dutch. "And get some medicine too."

"I think I've still got some," Eleanor spoke up. "In my saddle bag," she explained to Arthur. Arthur nodded at her before looking at Charles. 

"I'll get you some water before I go," Arthur explained. Charles nodded before Arthur got up, almost running to the bucket Eleanor had sitting by the fire before hurrying down to the water. She knew Arthur was worried. Charles and Eleanor were quiet, she hardly knew this man.

"Funny how only a few weeks ago you were aiming a shotgun in my face, now look at us," Eleanor joked, attempting to cut the silence. "Bonding over wounds." Charles snorted slightly in response.

"Arthur said he needed help, he never said it was this," Charles explained. "I don't know what's going on but all I know is that I'm now in trouble too," he grunted, seeming annoyed. Eleanor wasn't surprised, Arthur had gotten more people involved which meant more necks on the line. But she understood he couldn't have done this alone.