𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒.

︾

Arthur woke up with a jolt. He looked around, realising he had fallen asleep against the large tree with the bottles. He groaned, rubbing his face with a hand to wipe the wariness away before looking up at the sky. It was still dark but the stars were fading, indicating it was early morning. He picked up the repeated that laid across his legs before getting up. The man stretched his tired bones before walking around the large tree into their small camp. He treaded quietly, seeing the silhouette of of Eleanor laying down, her back to him. He paused, watching as her back slowly rose and fell with steady breaths, the woman was asleep. Continuing on quietly, Arthur returned to his gear and placed down the repeater. He turned around to look at the woman, her eyes were shut as she slept peacefully. The orange glow of the fire framed her face, she looked beautiful. 

Not a sound was heard beside the reoccurring sound of the bottles clanking together as the wind blew and a few distant crickets. As the wind picked up he noticed Eleanor shiver in her sleep. Arthur acted immediately, picking up his tan brown coat. He quietly walked over to her, carrying the coat in his hand. As he stood beside her, he looked down at her. She knew his feelings about her so hopefully she wouldn't find this strange. He knelt down beside the sleeping woman, carefully draping the coat over her. He leant back after, looking at her. The woman had loose strands of her over her face so he gently brushed them back, tucking them behind her ear. 

He could see all her features from this close. Every freckle, her long eyelashes, everything that made her Eleanor. Everything that made him fall head over heels for her. He hoped that him falling for her wasn't a mistake. He got up slowly before retreating to his own canvas sleeping bag for the night.

Arthur woke up later that morning, immediately looking over to where Eleanor was. The woman was still asleep and she hadn't stirred. Arthur grinned when he noticed the woman hugging his jacket tightly. He sat up, stretching his arms before climbing out of the sleeping bag. He walked over to the kettle and opened a tin of coffee beans and pouring them in before placing the kettle over the fire. Arthur sat down by the fire, looking at the woman. She looked at peace which was not often to see from someone who lived a hard life. Arthur couldn't help but feel proud that she felt safe enough to sleep in his company. He had managed to get Eleanor to open up to him, he felt horrible that she had a hard childhood. Of course, he already knew most about it because of the books and campfire songs but that didn't excuse the fact he felt sympathy for her. She had it hard just like the rest of them.

Dutch will be curious to where he has been. Arthur told him that he was going on a hunting trip so he would have to hunt before he returned to the camp. Dutch seems different now towards his enemies, he seems so careless about who his enemies are. The woman in front of him meant no harm, she was defenceless against a big group of them. Sure, she was capable of looking out for herself but he knew how good of gunmen everyone in the gang was. For years these people had been on the run, just like her. But when she comes against a lot of people with experience, her chances of living were slim.