𝖛𝖎𝖎. regrouping

chapter seven,regrouping

chapter seven,
regrouping.

         THE GROUP OF five were making their way towards Steve's car. Marleen was limping, Steve helping her walk, and Dustin and Lucas were talking.

"You're positive that was D'art?" Lucas asked.

"Yes," Dustin repeated. "He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt."

Marleen groaned. "Ugh."

"He was tiny two days ago," Max retorted from behind Marleen.

"Well, he's molted three times already."

Steve frowned at Dustin. "Malted?"

"Molted." The curly boy corrected him. "Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms," He explained further.

"When is he gonna molt again?" Max asked.

"It's gotta be soon." Dustin said. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it." Then added, "And so will his friends."

Marleen laughed ironically. "That's comforting."

Max nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve commented grimly.

At that, Lucas put himself in front of Dustin and stopped him in his tracks. Everyone else stopped too.

"Wait, a cat?" He asked incredulously.

Dustin fell back in surprise at the outburst.

"D'art ate a cat?" Lucas continued.

Dustin was quick to shake his head. "No, what? No."

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews." Steve said innocently, making Marleen groan and roll her eyes.

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked.

Steve, not reading the room, responded to Max. "It's Dustin's cat."

"Steve!" Dustin shrieked.

"I knew it!" Lucas yelled, shoving Dustin. "You kept it!"

"Hey, guys!" Marleen yelled, trying to stop the two kids but being unsuccessful.