Awakening

Everything felt weird, like I had been falling forever and then suddenly stopped. I felt sick and my head was spinning, I could hear birds singing their song and the rustle of flowers. Wait, flowers? I sat up and saw I was in a field of flowers, I stood up and looked around. The ground curved up into a hill and on top of the hill was a tree. I looked at my dress to see it was perfectly clean and that I had no injuries. I saw the box with all the screws and clockwork pieces on it and picked it up.

I tried turning the bolt I turned that caused me to end up here. But it did nothing, I tried hitting the box and turning other things but nothing happened. My stomach dropped a little, how am I going to get home? Where am I! I opened my purse and placed the box inside, It just managed to fit. I closed my purse and then looked at my bare feet. I smiled as the grass tickled my toes and the flowers gently kissing my skin. I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. I opened my eyes and started walking, searching for a way to at least get somewhere.

I was guess it was morning, because it felt like it and the sun wasn't in the spot it would be during the afternoon. As I was walking, in the distance I could see a man in a seat with horses as his transportation and a wagon full of sheep. I stopped in my tracks dumfounded, the man's clothes didn't look modern at all.

His eyes trailed over the landscape and then they landed on me. He stopped the wagon and then hopped out. He waved me over and I hurried over to him. He looked like he was in his thirties, he grabbed something from his pocket and handed it to me. It was money, a lot of money.

"I am sorry, sir but I cannot take this." You could hear the confusion in my voice and he shook his head giving me a gentle smile.

"Are you Everleigh Hazel?" He had a British accent and a beard.

"Yes, sir." I felt like I needed to be formal and I held my hands together and stood straight. He chuckled and handed me back the money. I took it and thanked him with a smile.

"You may quit the formalities." He had an authority tone in his voice and I nodded with a smile.

"I'll give you a lift to the station, there should be a picture frame in the compartment 23. Behind it will be something that will help you along the way." He explained and held out his hand, I shook his hand and smiled gently.

"My name is Robert Croft, It is nice to meet you Miss. Hazel." He helped me into the wagon sitting spot and then sat next to me. The smell was a bit unbearable, I tried not to grimace but Robert saw right through my face.

"I know the smell is a bit overpowering, but we'll be at the station in no time." He said as he flicked the reins and the horses started walking. I nodded with a smile and shrugged.

"It is all good." He nodded and I watched the scenery go past. The tree looks really pretty and nice and green. It was nice to see all of it, I wish I had a camera to take a photo of the beautiful landscape. We were getting closer to the train station and Robert got the horses to stop and then got out and helped me out.

"This is where we part for now Miss Hazel. Have a safe journey." He said and continued going along the dirt road. I saw the people that were walking around and I instantly realised that they are from the 19th century. I saw the train doors were open and grinned, I snuck on and then looked through the compartments. Trying to find the one Robert was talking about, I came across the compartment and closed the door. I took the photo frame off its hinges and then saw a small hole hidden by the frame.

It was a small note book and I think a map? I'm not too positive, I placed the items in my purse and then placed the frame back on. I took a deep breath and sat down by the wall of the window. I had my purse hidden by my side that was closest to the wall. I noticed a bag on the overhead racks and tilted my head confused. No one was in here and I was just hoping no one would enter. Mainly because of my dress, it's not exactly old. I grabbed the time box out and looked at it. I raised it so it was at eye level and groaned in frustration at not seeing any way on opening it.

I placed it back in and then smiled as the train started to move. Not too long after a 'boy' walked in, but it was quite easy to see through the disguise. They looked at me without disgust or like I was insane. My heart was racing in fear, part of me wanted to believe I was dreaming but I knew it wasn't a dream. Not with everything that has happened so far, I gave the person a polite smile and that person spoke.

"May I sit here please?" That person asked and I nodded gesturing to the seat across from me. It felt awkward in the small compartment and I stared out the window.

"You're not from around here are you?" The 'boy' asked, I knew I looked startled and then grimaced internally.

"Is it that obvious?" I questioned, looking at them with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, you're not wearing any shoes. That dress is one that I have never seen before and so is that purse." Quite an observer aren't we? I thought and nodded impressed.

"You're not fooling me, I mean others probably but I can easily tell you're a woman." She looked shocked for a moment and gave me the same look I just gave her.

"It does not bother me, I mean I am in men's clothing. You, well I cannot quite say." I chuckled and then smiled.

"In my time, it Is quite alright to dress up in male clothing. You see it quite often, nor do you have to wear shoes, corsets, gloves or even a hat." I didn't realise the one mistake I made just then, by saying time. I may of just ruined everything for myself and could be in a lot of trouble.

She looked quite happy and then suddenly confused, she was about to speak but a sneeze stopped her. I looked up at the bag and saw it moving, fear invaded me and I brought my knees up to my chest. Finding comfort by the actions I did.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Robert Croft

Played by Orlando Bloom