Nincompoop

The girl and I exchanged looks, my hands were sweating and I watched a knife come out of the bag. Then a hand that managed to undo the straps of one end of the bag. Then a head popped out, my confusion was growing and I quickly looked at the girl then back at the boy in the bag. As he was struggling to undo the other, he must have shifted his weight and he fell off the rack. I squeaked in fright and then sneezed as the dust on the ground was now floating everywhere. He groaned and then looked to the girl.

"Hello." He said and continued getting himself out of the bag. I was looking at him shocked and confused, I really don't know what just happened.

"Please get out of this carriage." The girl said, as the boy placed his pocket knife in his pocket. His eyes trailed on me and I felt self conscious and hugged myself, slowly sitting normally.

"I can't, I'm in hiding. A bit of a to-do, bribed a porter to put me this and get me onboard. Very daring." He said with a smug look, sitting next to me. I looked at him cautiously and he looked at the girl. Well he thought she was a guy.

"Get out of this carriage right now." The girl said once more, still looking shocked by what happened. He examined her and took in a deep inhale.

"You're a strange looking gentleman." He said and the girl looked offended that she couldn't fool another person.

"You think you look normal?" The girl questioned and I smirked with a silent chuckle.

"You're not a boy at all." He stated.

"I might be a boy." She spluttered out, the boy spoke once more. Not paying me any attention which I was glad for.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"What are you?" she retaliated.

"I'm Viscount Tewksbury, the Marquess of Basilweather." He introduced and stuck out his hand for her to shake but all she did was glance at it.

"You're a nincompoop." She stated and I snorted.

"I second that." I mumbled, they both glanced at me and the Viscount looked irritated and spoke trying to prove his point.

"I'll have you know, I have just undertaken a particular daring escape-" The girl cut him off and my head shot up at her at her words.

"You have not escaped, there is a man in a brown bowler hat. Currently on this train, searching for you. And once he finds you, he will think I helped hide you and I will be in danger by this. Therefore I ask you to get out of this carriage. The both of you." I glared at her and spoke annoyed.

"I think you have forgotten that I was in here first, so I am not going anywhere!" I exclaimed, the girl huffed and the boy looked at me a slight twinkle in his eye. He looked back at the girl with a smirk.

"You remind me of my uncle, I left him at the station. He's bossy too, I've left them all. My mother, my grandmother. But I'm fine, I'm free." He said standing up and placing the bag back on the rack.

"Good, get out of the carriage then." I rolled my eyes, went to stand up. But then remembered, I'm not in my time anymore and looking like this isn't acceptable. I huffed and plopped back down, the Viscount looked back at me and then at the girl.

"That bag might do you some good, help you hide from those you need hiding from." He gently said, I smiled at him and gave him a small nod. He took a sharp breath and turned to the door opening it.

"A man in a brown bowler hat?" He looked either side and then walked out. Closing the door behind him. Only 37 seconds later he came back in a full on panic.

"He's coming!" His voice cracked in panic and I looked at him gently.

"Of course." The girl said.

"He's checking every carriage!" He faced the girl and then at me, I probably would give him more sympathy but I just didn't know what to do.

"Wonderful." The sarcasm lacing through her words would usually make me laugh if this was a different situation.

"He didn't see me." He probably did. I thought and watched the girl pack her things up.

"Therefore, I say goodbye to you Viscount Tewksbury, the Marquess of Basilweather. You'll be coming with me girl, I can help you hide. That is not an offer, now come!" I stood up quickly, tripping a little bit and looked at the boy with sorry eyes before following after the girl.

"You really do remind me of my uncle, he has the same stare." I giggled quietly and watched the boy's eyes trail on me and his smug smile disappeared and it became a genuine one. The girl rolled her eyes and started walking, a man in a brown bowler hat knocked her shoulders and entered the carriage that we just left. She rolled her eyes and continued walking, but I stayed where I was.

I knew something wasn't right and went after him. I saw the bowler hat man pushing the Viscount out the door. I grabbed my bag, knowing the box and a few books were in there and swung it at the man. He groaned and I saw his body tense. The Viscount, even though terrified for his own life looked at me, more panic in his eyes. I gulped as the bowler hat man swung his hand at me and hit me along the head. Knocking me down to the ground, I groaned and rubbed my head. He glanced back at me and knocked me in the face with his foot.

Moments later I awoke, I placed my bag back on and saw the girl pulling in the Viscount. I felt a hand pull me up and then that person started dragging me out as we entered a tunnel. As the light came back, I realised it was the Viscount who helped me up.

"I'm not ready to die!" He exclaimed.

"I wasn't going to die until I met you!" She exclaimed, I could feel her irritation for the boy. Yet I wasn't irritated by him. The girl looked through a carriage and the women in there gave a startled noise. Looking at her disgusted, probably over her manners.

"Terribly sorry." The Viscount said to the women as she walked off. He quickly dragged me along again, following this odd girl. We stopped behind her, seeing she wanted to change to the coal basket thing.

"I'd rather take my chances with that man." I said pointing behind me.

"Do you have any better ideas!" She shouted over the wind and the moving train. She jumped to the coal carrier and The Viscount, carefully jumped over and then held his hand out to me. I closed the door and held my breath as I grabbed his hand and leaped over grasping the bars.

"Do you trust me?" She asked. glancing at us.

"No!"

"I don't know!"

"If we time it correctly, we can leave him stranded!" She explained, I groaned and felt my belly drop. Knowing what were to happen.

"Time what correctly?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.

"We're gonna have to jump!" I shouted, clutching on tighter to the bars.

"Mr. Tewksbury, we have two choices!" The girl had a tone in her voice.

"And which one involves me not dying!" He questioned. The door opened and I saw the bowler hat man.

"This one!" She exclaimed, jumping off and took him with her and seeing as I still was holding his hand I got dragged along too. I felt something on my arm, but paid no attention to it as I rolled down the hill.