6. FEAR

The future itself is way too uncertain to scare you. The past on its own is way too certain to daunt you. But sometimes, the uncertainties of the future combine with the certainties of the past, drenching your present with an unconquerable, unknown fear.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The luxurious automobile swiftly entered through the large steel doors, as they were pulled open by two uniformed men standing on either side of the door near the guards' cabins as soon as they heard the roaring of the engine.

The shining black vehicle moved expeditiously through the wide straight metalled track, before following it as it bent around a tall structure of elegant stones through which a jet of water spurted out, it's sound of falling back into the fountain being the only noise apart from the whizzing of the engine. The blackness of the night had enveloped the entire area, the heavenly bodies stitched in the night sky being the only source of light on the mansion below. Zooming along the driveway, the car came to an abrupt halt right before the middle of the house. As the engine cut off, the entire area got covered in a blanket of sheer silence, the sound of the splashing of the water being too low to be heard at such a distance.

The bungalow was situated at a silent corner of the busy city. Though the place was not entirely secluded from the rest of the town, it was surrounded by no more than a few buildings, for this area had been solely dedicated to the elites, marked by invisible boundaries. The mansion was still located at an isolated area from the rest of the houses there. It was a contemporary, magnificent building covered in shades of white and grey with a blackish brown flat roof mounting it, and was spread across a great width.

The broad cemented pathway was spread widely in all directions, seeming to merge horizontally with the base of the lavish bungalow. Clutching the edges of the track were neat patches of greenery spreading to acres, and giving the path a circular view.

To the left could be spotted a large plot of metalled track placed on the large green floor at a distance, on which numerous expensive vehicles were parked. While the right part of the view had embedded in itself a large rectangular pool.

The numerous expensive vehicles to the left were parked in an organised series, facing the pool, while their backs faced the large garage that had been almost completely filled by another set of luxurious vehicles. Beside the garage was the outbuilding, two-storeys high.

A simple yet stylish fountain at the centre of the widely spread metalled track adorned the view. Amidst all this stood the three-floored elegant house, flanked by tall trees on either side which shielded the concealed greenery spread behind it.

Another metalled passage towards the left through the building connected the backyard to the front of the house, which was now drowned in an ocean of complete darkness, only some streaks of the golden light from the inside managing to pierce the dark blanket.

The entire sumptuous view was imprisoned in beautifully carved walls of white, brown and black with a lavish, black striped metal gate complemented with alternate belts of glass, fixed to it at the centre, caging the front portion of the house. Armed men marked every few feet of the strong boundary.

The luxurious house was drenched with a melancholic silence at every section. The pitch blackness of the night had settled at every corner of the place. Silence was all that had draped the complete picture, silence that seemed satisfying yet strange. The moon, now hidden behind the clouds, helped the darkness spread its wings even more, the dark silence carrying a strange discomfort.

Turning off the engine of the expensive car, the figure of the man inside remained still for a minute, one hand still clutching the steering wheel, while the other one placed on the key beneath it, before closing his eyes and taking a deep breath once, huffing resignedly, head bent low. He sat still for another minute, before slowly opening his lids, lifting his head simultaneously, the cold expression clearly visible in his gaze once again as he stared at the front.