viii. Little Game

—✧—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—✧—

EIGHT LITTLE GAME CALLED

—✧—✧—✧—✧—✧—

HER FRIENDS HAD taken the news really well. A lot better than Delia had thought they would. Since, well, from a technical standpoint speaking — she'd kind of, sorta lied.

But it's not like she wanted to, or anything! She was kind of just pushed into it. Delia doesn't want to lie more than she already is. She adores her new friends, and she wants this to be different from her last school. She wants a real friendship with all of them. So, she tried to be honest with them, truly! But things didn't really end up going that way.

She'd tried to tell them the truth, about how she swore with everything in her that she didn't put her name in the goblet, that someone else must've put her name in. But she figures that her friends were much too hopped up on all of the sweets (and other sorts of drinks) to take her seriously. And frankly, Delia doubts that she would've believed herself either.

So then, she tried to explain how she just knew deep down in her gut that it was Moody who put her name in, because — news flash — within the brief period that the two have known each other, Delia's come to despise Moody, and no doubt he's got some weird sort-of vendetta against her as well. This, her friends believed a little bit more, but by then Delia had given up on trying to convince them and had shouted, "You're right! I put my name in the goblet."

The party had gone quiet then, and even the music had been turned down so that Delia could be heard over it all. What was once a wizard band drowning out all of the chatter amongst the common room was now dimmed to a dull thud behind Delia's ears. She'd frowned, maybe she prefers muggle music to wizard music. Because what's playing right now, not really her thing. She briefly wondered if she could change it, but scratched that idea after remembering that most people here hate muggles.

Theodore was standing beside her. "How?" he'd asked in awe. And everyone else in the common room (aka: all of Slytherin house) had nodded in agreement.

She'd looked around the room, everyone watching her with stars in their eyes, and came to the conclusion that she couldn't tell them the truth. That'd break their hearts.

Because here's the thing, Delia may have been accidentally thrown into this situation accidentally-on purpose, but it doesn't mean that she can't make the most of it. She can still win the tournament, for all the Slytherins. For all of her friends, their eyes on her, in the common room. Looking at her like she's the sun. She couldn't let them down. She wouldn't let them down.

So after taking a breath (and fiddling with her bracelet), Delia laughed. "I could tell you," she said. "But then I'd have to kill you."

The room had burst into cheers as everybody had laughed and clapped for her. Delia breathed out a quick sigh of relief before letting a smile take over her face.