20

My stuff was packed and I was laying on my bed. It had been untouched since Nick and I took whatever we had further, but it still was comforting as I blaired sad music through my shitty earbuds.

"Rylie," called a voice, unrecognizable through my music.

"What?" I said, my eyes were shut tight.

"We're leaving in a few hours," said the voice, who I recognized as George as he pulled my earbuds out gently.

I didn't say anything.

George sat down on the bed and looked at me, concern in his face.

"Don't ask if I'm okay," I said, "I'm pretty sure I don't have any tears left."

George nodded as he processed my request. He smiled as he opened his arms. I moved over silently and hugged him tightly.

I knew I would've been crying if I hadn't been for the past hour.

———

"We'll meet you guys in the car," said Dream, as he grabbed his only bag.

"Alright," called Nick from the kitchen.

"Please talk to him Rylie," said George, "he's really upset."

"I'll do my best," I said.

Dream and George quickly left. Dream pulling a mask over his face as he exited the house. They got into the backseat and I heard the doors click as they locked.

"You have everything?" Nick asked, walking out into the foyer.

I noticed that he was carrying a couple bags.

"Yeah I think so," I said, "what's with the bags?"

"Oh uh, basic streaming equipment, and some clothes," he said, "I'm gonna be staying with some family until this all dies down."

He looked around the room sadly, rubbing his arm.

"Oh Nick," I said, throwing myself into his arms, "I don't want to leave you. I feel so bad. This is all my fault. I-,"

"Rylie," said Nick, wrapping his arms around my waist, "I'll be okay. None of this is your fault alright? I love you and I promise, this will all blow over in a week."

"You think so?"

"Look, we all get hate," he said, "but we push through. I'll be fine. That Twitter account will get banned and everyone will find something else to occupy their attention."

"Okay," I said, more reassured, "what about us?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean like, what do we tell them? Do we tell them about us? What even is 'us'? Should I be changing my Facebook status to 'in a relationship'? What am I going to do all the way in England without you?" I stammered. I was silenced by Nick cracking a small smile.

"Okay first of all, we don't need to tell them anything. What we have is our business. Second of all, no one uses Facebook anymore. And lastly, third of all, I'll tell you what you'll do in England."

I smiled.

"You'll FaceTime me every single night for at least half an hour, you'll stream and play Minecraft with me, and when you're not doing that, you'll either go make some non internet friends, or miss me so much your brain explodes."

I laughed at him as he chuckled at himself.

"Why would I need to make new friends when I'm already friends with GeorgeNotFound?" I asked cracking up.

Nick laughed along with me for a moment before taking my hands in his.

"And um, Rylie?" He asked, "about the whole 'wondering what we are' thing... I've been meaning to ask you, do you want to be my girlfriend?"

"Nick," I said, staring deep into his dark eyes, "I would love nothing more."

He silently celebrated before pulling me into a kiss. It was beautiful and bittersweet. A new beginning, disused as a painful ending. I held onto him for dear life, afraid that if I let go, I'd never have him again.

"I love you Nick," I whispered against his lips.

"I love you too Rylie," he mumbled back.