21

I hugged Nick as tight as I could.

"Call me as soon as you land alright?" He asked.

"Promise," I said back.

I wrapped my hands around his neck and pressed my forehead against his. I breathed heavily, trying to hold back my tears.

"I love you Rylie Gold," Nick said with a smile.

"And I love you," I said, "and you'll get sick of me really fast, I can guarantee it."

"Not if you get sick of me first," Nick smirked.

"Bet," I said.

He closed the gap between us, kissing me with passion and sorrow. This would be the last time our lips connected for an uncertain amount of time. We'd be okay though, we had each other.

———

I sat in the terminal, waiting for my flight to begin boarding. I played music in my earbuds and hummed softly, listening for the flight attendants call.

I noticed someone looking at me from across the seating area. I ignored them and continued to fiddle with my phone.

"Excuse me?" Said a quiet voice.

I took out my earbuds and found myself face to face with a girl. She looked around 14 or 15. She had blonde hair that was up in a messy ponytail and hazel eyes. She wore black leggings, white shoes, a hoodie and a jean jacket over top.

"Oh um, hi," I said, "can I help you?"

"Uh hi," said the girl, "are you GoldenRylie?"

That's when I realized that the hoodie she was wearing was George's merch.

"Yeah, I am," I said, "what's up?"

"Oh my god," she said, "this is crazy! I never thought I would meet you! I'm Carla. My friends and I absolutely love your content!"

"Thank you! That's so kind," I exclaimed.

"And by the way, I hate to bring it up, but I think that everything happening with you and Sapnap is super unfair. Whatever is going on in your lives is your business," she stammered.

"It's nice to hear you say that," I said, pushing down the urge to sob.

"Could I get a picture?" Carla asked, "my friends would never believe that I met you without proof."

"Oh sure!" I said, "I don't look too great right now but-,"

"Are you kidding?" Asked Carla, "I'd give a limb to look like you!"

"Thanks?" I said, laughing slightly.

We posed for a quick picture, she said her goodbyes and then rushed off to a nearby terminal.

I boarded my flight once it was time and sat down in my seat. I buckled my seatbelt and pulled out my phone again.

I shuffled my Spotify playlist titled 'A journey somewhere, but make it ✨sad✨' and started looking through some of the selfies I took with the guys that night at the restaurant. A single tear rolled down my cheek as I began my journey home.