34

"Remind me why I'm here again?" I asked as I set the china down on the table in the trainyard. "You had the china," John shrugged with as he sat down at the table. He shot me a glare as I quickly smacked the back of his head. "Peaky Business," Arthur answered as he lit a cigarette. "No shit. What is all this about?" I asked again, sighing as I placed the last plate down. "Vicente Chagretta requested a meeting. Neutral ground. You're here to keep things in check," John shrugged, and I rolled my eyes, straightening myself up and standing behind my brother as we were approached by Finn and Isiah, followed closely by a tall Italian man with two of his own men. "You asked for a meeting out in the open," Arthur started as the man, who I could only assume was Vicente, stood across the table from John. "The fresh air, and the fine aroma of shit. Neutral ground, you said," Arthur gestured to our surroundings. "This is hardly neutral ground," Vicente replied. "Well, it's what you've got," Arthur shot back as he took a seat, "So, por favor, sit down." "Where is Thomas?" Vicente asked, scanning the men behind us. "He got called away. I'm here in his place," I answered quickly. "He said he'd be here," Vicente insisted. "Yeah, he's busy," Arthur replied nonchalantly.

            "She just told you he got called away. What do you want?" John asked impatiently. "There has been a peace between the Peaky Blinders and the Chagretta family for two years now," Vicnete started. "Do you want some tea or not?" John asked, gesturing to the china I'd laid out beforehand. "Finn, pour them some tea. Go on," I insisted. Finn moved towards the table, reaching for the china before suddenly stopping at an outburst from Vicente. "We don't want fucking tea!" he shouted. Finn slowly moved the teapot back to the table as Vicente leaned in close. "We want an explanation," he said lowly. "Well, I'll have fucking tea," Arthur interrupted, reaching for the teapot. I let out an irritated sigh, annoyed with the air of smugness that surrounded my brothers like a second skin. "An explanation for what?" I asked, meeting Vicente's gaze. "The Little Venice Restaurant on Forge Street was burnt down," Vicente started. "No. No. Couldn't have been us, we was at a wedding," John immediately insisted, and I narrowed my gaze at him, knowing that was the restaurant where Lizzie's "boyfriend" was employed. I watched closely as he avoided Vicente's fiery eyes. "You burnt it down to stop my son being at that same wedding," Vicente insisted. "He wasn't missed," Arthur replied casually.

            Both of my brothers let out a laugh, which was followed by a sarcastic chuckle from Vicente. "You are such big boys now. But once, you borrowed clothes from us to look like men," Vicente started, his gaze narrowing in on my brothers. "How's the tea Arthur? Is it.." John started, watching as Arthur sloshed the rest of the tea onto the ground. "It's cold," he replied with a shrug. "Please tell Tommy that we pay him whatever he asks us to pay. We stay out of the city and off the tracks. But you tell him from me, that my son will walk with any woman in this city. Any woman he chooses. Even if that woman works for the emperor, Thomas Shelby. My son is in love-" Vicente ranted, but he was cut off as John broke out into laughter. "Sorry. Do excuse me. Carry on," he waved as he somewhat regained his composure. There was silence for a moment before Vicente continued. "And if he wishes, he will walk with the woman he loves," he finished. "It's done," I answered. "You know, it would be hard for your son to walk anywhere with a bullet in each knee, wouldn't it," John piped up suddenly. My eyes burned daggers into his back as I watched him pour himself a cup of tea.

            "Too much," Vicente said lowly, one shaking finger pointed at John, "You said too much, my friend. Your sister here, she's the only reasonable one. Sabini says 'suck and swallow', but no. Too much. I spit." I watched as Vicente spat down at the ground, speaking in Italian to his men as they turned away. One of his men reached for a chair and started smashing it to pieces against the ground. "Oh. Okay. A bit strong," John commented as I covered my eyes from the hail of wood splinters that flew my direction. "Fuckin hell," he laughed as the men walked out of sight. "Isaiah," I said sternly, and he flew to my side. "Put two extra men on our pubs in Nechells," I ordered. "What are you talking about, Lena?" John questioned me, "We're not scared of fucking Eyeties anymore." I whirled around angrily, one finger pointed in my brothers face as I dragged him closer by the collar of his shirt, done with the testosterone and flaring tempers. "Don't you dare question me. One day your stupid hot head is gonna get us all killed. Don't tell Tommy about the chair, and clean this fucking shit up," I spat at him before taking off in the direction of home. "We're not scared of fucking wops. Lena!" John called after me, but I ignored his calls. I approached Odin and hauled myself up into the saddle, taking off back towards London.