18

"There they are," Arthur muttered. "You're late," John called out to us as Tommy and I approached, having ditched James. All the men were gathered in front of a large van that would transport us to the derby. "We had business," Tommy replied, hugging Arthur briefly. "How the fuck did you get me out of that?" Arthur asked him as I reached out to embrace him. "I need you today, brother. I pulled some strings," Tommy replied. "You alright?" I asked Arthur, and he nodded. "I am now," he said. "So Arthur's back in charge now?" John asked. "He's in charge of you, and you're both in charge of him," Tommy answered, gesturing to Finn, "Lookout duties only today." "Tom-" Finn started, but Tommy cut him off. "Finn, you don't obey orders, you don't come," Tommy said harshly, "Johnny Dogs. Your boys will meet us there?" "The Lee's will be there, Captain," Johnny nodded. "Captain?" Tommy asked. "Aye, we promoted ya. The boys decided you're no longer like a sergeant major. Fuckin' those rich women and using those fancy words, I'd say you're more like a captain these days," Johnny replied. "Fine, but I'll take it as a compliment. Just don't bloody shoot me," Tommy said. Looking around at us all. "Let's go to the derby boys," he called out, and I filed around to the front of the can, climbing into the front seat with Tommy. "Alright, then! Light 'em up!" Arthur shouted as our boys climbed into the back.

            The door in the back closed and there came a bang on the floor. Tommy started the van and shifted into drive. It was a short drive to meet the Lee boys off the road on the way to Epsom. The boys filed out once we arrived, and I got out of the cab, standing off to the side. "I hope you've all obeyed instructions and brought loaded firearms with you," Tommy started as our men and the Lee boys gathered around him. "Yes," came a rousing chorus throughout the men as they held up their firearms. "Yes. very good," Tommy commented, "You will all know if you are lifted on the racetrack these days, with a loaded weapon, you get twenty years. That's alright, today you won't get lifted. Because today there will be no coppers around to lift you. At exactly three o'clock, there will be an incident in the owner's enclosure and all the coppers on the track will be diverted, all of them. They'll be looking for someone. You'll be free to operate at will." "Looking for who?" Arthur asked. "Me. They will be looking for me," Tommy announced, "Now, while the coppers are busy with me, you will make your move on Sabini's pitches. You confiscate his takings, you destroy his licenses, and you do it at gunpoint. He usually has police protection, so they won't be armed. We should aim to complete the takeover without a shot being fired, understood? And remember, the licenses are more important than the takings. Alright, before the fun begins, you can all lay ten bob on Nom De Guerre. I hear she's going to win."

            The men all cheered as Tommy passed out a bag filled with money, each of them taking ten bob from the satchel. "Only beer beforehand boys. There'll be plenty of time for rum and whiskey after. And remember, do not make a move until three, when the coppers leave. That is all," Tommy finished. "Incidents? What are you going to do that's going to make every copper at the derby look the other way?" I asked as Tommy approached me. "Don't worry sister, that's where you will come in. You have the gun in your handbag like I told you?" he asked, and I nodded. Tommy gave me no other reply, and ordered the men back into the vans, and we went on our way. When we arrived, the Derby was in full swing. Men and women were dressed in their finest, drinking and smoking. I watched the boys place their bets as I made my way to the bar getting myself a whiskey neat. I downed it in one sip, ordering another as I awaited my instructions. "Come on, sister, with me," Tommy's voice said, and I whirled around to see him there. He linked his arm with mine and walked me to the higher-up's box, where the rich people wined and dined at the races. "Tommy I have to talk to you," came an Irish accent as we reached the stairs. "G-grace," I said in surprise. She nodded a quick hello to me before turning back to Tommy.

            "Grace. Now is not a good time," Tommy told her, pulling her away from me. They disappeared from view as I remained at the base of the stairs, awaiting their return. When Tommy strode back up to me, Grace was nowhere to be found. "I had no idea she was back in the country," I said to him, and he nodded silently, dazed almost. "She's pregnant," he whispered tightly, and my jaw dropped. "Is it yours? I thought she was married," I gasped in shock. "It's mine. We had a night," Tommy muttered, "Now we've got a job to do." I nodded, forcing myself to remain silent as he walked me up the stairs and into the box. "Undo your top two buttons," Tommy muttered, and I followed his orders as we sat at an empty table. A glass of champagne was handed to me, and I drank it gratefully. "Have another. You might need it," Tommy said, handing me another glass. I drank it quickly, before leaning against the table and staring at my brother. "So what is my part in this plan of yours?" I asked him, already slightly on edge. "Lena, there's a man here, and I need him separated from the crowd and taken to a quiet place," Tommy answered. "A quiet place," I scoffed, "Do I look like a whore to you, Tommy?! I'm not Lizzie Stark," I hissed at him. "Lena, you have the gun in your bag, did you really think I'd let anything happen to you? You're a diversion, I just need you to isolate him, is all. I've drawn a map, alright, of where exactly you need to take him. Just...keep him busy at the place marked with an X, and I'll get to you before he can start, I promise, alright?" Tommy said earnestly.

            "Your plan better be fucking worth it, Tommy," I hissed at him, and he placed a hand over mine. "It will be, Lena," he replied softly, and I rolled my eyes at him, snatching my hand away. "Who is he," I sighed angrily. "To your right, a soldier," Tommy muttered. I turned slightly, scanning the room as my eyes landed on a soldier with a mustache and thinning hair. "He's smoking a cigarette. Just be alone with him at three, when the race starts, and I'll do the rest, yeah?" Tommy said. "Got a piece of chalk?" I asked him. "Chalk?" he asked confusedly. "It's how the soldier's know - oh for fuck's sake, just hand it the fuck over," I muttered. Tommy reached into his coat and then handed me a piece of white chalk, and I marked the bottom of my shoe. I nodded to Tommy, who abruptly stood up and left the table, leaving me alone. I slammed down another champagne before turning in my seat to face the soldier. He looked over as I crossed my legs, my shoe dangling in the air as he read the price written down on it. He gave me a curt nod, and I rose to my feet, bag in hand, as I strode out of the room. He wasn't long behind me and I plastered a grin on my face, reaching behind to take his hand in mine, leading to him to where Tommy had drawn the X.

            The race was about to start, and the room was completely empty, save for the soldier and I. "What a pretty dress," he muttered, sliding the sleeve off my shoulder and kissing my skin roughly. My skin crawled with disgust but I forced myself to look as though I liked it. That I wanted to make a few bob at the races. He bit harshly at my neck, kissing the skin sloppily as he shoved me back against the wall. "Take it off," he ordered as he pulled away. "Let's take this off first," I replied, my voice sultry and low, almost moaning as I unbuttoned his shirt and started to slide it off, but his hands gripped mine hard, leaving bruises. "We should take it slow. We've got all the time," I gasped out as he pushed me back against the wall. His hand trailed down, lifting up the skirt of my dress as he moved my underwear to the side, and I tried to push him off me.

            "Stop. Stop!" I shouted, but he tried again. My handbag was still clutched in my first and I brought a knee up into his crotch, ripping open my bag and pointing a gun down at him. "Don't you dare try to touch me you fucking miserable shit!" I shouted down at him. Anger burned behind his eyes, and I turned the safety off as he started to rush towards me in anger. I readied my hand to pull the trigger, when Tommy rushed into the room, gripping the back of the soldiers uniform and pulling him away from me. "Shoot, Lena!" Tommy yelled, but the two men were fighting each other, and I couldn't get a clean shot. "I can't get a clean shot, Tommy!" I yelled, still aiming my gun at the man my brother was fighting. The soldier reared back, punching Tommy in the face. Tommy reared back, pushing him off himself. The two men grappled with each other as I continued to try to get a clean shot. Tommy whipped a gun out of his coat pocket and pushed against the soldier as the soldier's thumb dug into his eye. Tommy bellowed, pushing against the man, as I finally found my shot. I squeezed the trigger, feeling the power course through my body as the bullet entered the side of his head.

            The man collapsed against the wall, lifeless. "Tommy," I said softly, tears streaming from my eyes. Tommy got up from the floor, taking in my bare shoulder as he approached me. "You're lucky you're on time," I sniffed angrily. Tommy nodded, pulling the sleeve of my dress back up and buttoning it back up for me. "This is why I told you to bring the gun. I'd never leave you without protection," he muttered, and I nodded as he wiped my tears away. "Shhh, now. You're alright," he whispered soothingly taking me into his arms. "I'm sick of being a fucking pawn, Tommy. You can't use me like this anymore," I muttered, pushing him away after a moment. "I know, I know. This was the last time, I promise. From now on, you won't be involved in anymore contracts, deals, or other schemes," he whispered, and I nodded. "I'll still have to be a nurse though, won't I," I scoffed, and Tommy nodded. "Now go, take the back exit, alright? Go and find John and Arthur," he said, and I nodded, putting my gun back in my handbag and leaving the room as Tommy fired off three more shots.