En Kjærlighetshistorie

Nicholas woke up to sharp pains, but he held back the need to groan and move. It was still the middle of the night, and Emily was sure to hear him. He looked at his sleeping wife; every time he did, he would remember for just how long she'd occupied his heart.

Though he was seven years older than her, Nicholas had known Emily for most of his life. She was known as Emily Nordwind back in those days. Her family was Danish on her mother's side, and they'd been living in Aalborg when she was born. The Nordwinds wouldn't move to Norway until Emily was two years old to be near her father's side of the family.

She was a mischievous lass—frequently being scolded by the adults for playing pranks on her friends and getting into all sorts of trouble to make them laugh. She was also the most beautiful girl in their village; every boy thought so! So many were eager to be the ones set up to marry her, but none had been so lucky. Nicholas Overland was not like one of these boys, for he still only saw her as a rambunctious child by the time she was a teenager.

No, Emily never caught Nicholas' eye until one day, while wheel-barreling some crops back to his home, he spotted a beautiful young woman stepping outside of her home – and he couldn't believe it was her! The fiery, often disheveled tomboy was gone and a gorgeous young lady of nineteen had replaced her.

He was uncertain that it was really her; he wasn't paying attention as he tried to figure it out and tripped over his own cart, dropping all of the vegetables. Emily just laughed and went on walking with her sister, Jonna.

Though he was left beet-red from the ordeal, Nicholas was smitten. He'd told himself to never be taken by looks alone, but he wasn't able to expel her golden-brown eyes and quiet giggle from his mind. It's not like he was new to humiliation—in his mid-twenties and still unmarried. In this town, it meant that there must be something wrong with him. Perhaps he was 'dysfunctional' below the waist.

Nicholas Overland didn't have time to settle down since being on his own; managing a job and keeping the house from falling apart as well as himself from starving was already enough work. A wife and child weren't ideal... Besides, what would such an exciting, vivacious young lady want to do with a timid, awkward lad like himself?

He never imagined ever getting her attention until the evening she approached him and asked him for some firewood.

It was a merciless winter that year, an unexpected snowstorm hit, and no one had enough supplies to suffice. Many were sick and hungry. The citizens were trying to share what little they had with one another. Nicholas, unfortunately, had to tell Emily that he only dealt with delivering orders placed prior and that she'd have to take it up with his boss, Heimar. Heimar was ruthless in how he ran things, but he was efficient nonetheless; in times like this, it had to be first-come, first-serve. Emily had no time to place any orders because her father and sister were both ill, and her mother had needed even more of her time. Nicholas knew right away what he would do, and he would've done it for anyone that had come to him at that moment, but it just happened to be Emily. Heimar would notice if he gave away their lumber, so Nicholas told her to come back at night and he would give her what was left.