Aedion

Rowan had lost his gods-damned mind. And the worst part of it was, no one could seem to break through to him. The only people able to do that were gone.

With Aelin missing, the kingdom was a shell of what it usually was. The streets were quiet and somber compared to usual jovial energy that permeated the shining city. Now their people seemed to only come out when necessary. Music was rarely heard. It was like a cloud of sadness hung over Orynth, slowly crushing them.

He wasn't much better, but one of them had to keep their head on straight.

They had never meant for the truth to slip free to the public, but Rowan had come unhinged and it hadn't taken long for the rumor to spread and become reality. 

He assumed control of the throne with Fenrys by his side. Lorcan and Elide came from Perranth the moment the Demi-fae had felt the blood oath snap. Since then, the shadowed fae had been in and out looking for any clues he could. Elide had kept him company when she could, always telling him they would all be alright.

It had been a week since they'd disappeared and they were no further than they were when they started. No clues, nothing. No one in neighboring kingdoms had seen them either. 

It was beginning to cripple him.

Rowan hadn't been seen often, but he needed to talk to the male. Not that he wanted to, because Hellas knows the male was terrifying on a good day. He'd likely get his head bitten off before being able to get a word out, but to hell with caution. Aelin would flay him alive if she knew how terrified he was of her mate.

Perhaps they could manage a civilized conversation. They had both lost those they loved. Or it could end in more territorial fae bullshit, as his cousin loved to call it. He couldn't help it. He cared for Aelin as much, if not more, than Rowan. Or he liked to think.

"Fenrys, keep an eye on things," he told the blond male. "If I do not return in an hour, come check on me."

Fenrys offered a silent good luck as he took up a position on the stairs in front of the throne to deal with any complaints that came through. It was something Aelin had changed. She wanted her people to feel like they could talk to her, or any of them. To not be afraid of their rulers. So, she hardly ever used the throne. Mainly for antics or for show when it was necessary.

He searched for half an hour before he tried the nursery they'd worked on. He really should have checked there first because it made sense as to why he was there.

"Rowan?" he asked cautiously.

The silver-haired male turned to him and he nearly staggered back in surprise. His cheeks were tear stained as if he hadn't yet stopped crying. He'd never seen him express so much emotion. Even when they had an "official" wedding ceremony for the kingdom, after some teeth pulling, he'd only shed one tear before they kissed.

This. Gods, Aedion didn't know what to think. But he understood. His cousin, his wife and daughter, were missing. It was enough to permanently change a man.

"Rowan?" he tried again, a bit more concerned.

"It's just like Lyria all over again," Rowan mumbled. 

Even with his fae hearing, he barely grasped the words.

"Lyria?"

He'd heard the name in passing, but did not know the story behind it. He could probably ask Fenrys or his father, but he would deal with the source, if Rowan was able to stomach telling him.

"I wasn't there to protect her," Rowan admitted, looking down at the ground, one of his hands absentmindedly running along the bottom of the cradle. "I thought she was my mate back then. I was foolish enough to leave her for months. While I was gone, she was captured and then killed. I didn't make it back in time. She was dead. They both were."

Oh gods. "Rowan, we'll get them both back. They'll be alright. I'm sorry about Lyria, I never knew. But you cannot sit here like this. Aelin wouldn't want that. She would want you to take care of yourself and this kingdom. You know wherever she is, she's fighting to get back as much as we are trying to find them. Remember the Wyrdmarks you tattooed on her back? She will find her way home. They all will."

His cousin's mate looked at him. They'd never truly gotten along, but they were connected in a way the others were not. They were brothers, cut from the same cloth. The pain in Rowan's eyes equaled his own, but the large male forced himself to his feet nonetheless.

He cracked a small smile as he clasped the general's arm. "Thank you, Aedion."

He was sure Rowan could see the surprise lining his features. They had never been this close without some sort of pissing contest. Aelin would be proud.

He smiled at his brother. "Now, let's take care of the kingdom and get our family back."