Yrene

Rowan was unconscious for two days, and in varying amounts of pain for the next six. Whatever had happened to Aelin had severely affected his body.

When Lorcan had burst into her quarters, causing her little baby girl to scream and cry, after just having been put down for a nap no less, she had been ready to give him a piece of her mind, but then she'd seen the look on his face, and she'd passed her daughter off to her confused husband and followed the large male.

She had not been prepared for the scene she'd come upon. The white-haired Prince had been writhing on the ground and his body was shifting unnaturally at a pace that she knew was not healthy. He had always been solemn and ready for battle, so this was jarring for the healer.

Nonetheless, she let her magic pull him under to stop his body from shifting anymore. Since then, she had hardly left his side. The rise and fall of his chest had been the only physical clue showing he was alive. With her abilities, she could feel him, but to any other that dared enter the room, it was uncertain.

It was her duty to keep him alive. Aelin would want that, whether she was dead or alive. And at this point, that was uncertain. If she was, something terrible had happened. He was her only link to the lost Queen. Besides, she'd grown to like the male, despite Chaol's grumbling. Even he had to admit Rowan was everything the legends said. Maybe a little less heartless, especially when it came to his mate and wife.

The day he awoke was a surprise. Gavriel had been in the room with her when his eyes flickered open. There had nearly been a fight over him having to relieve himself, but she made him understand that despite the fact he was over three hundred years older than she was, she held the power in this instance.

She would forever be thankful for the significantly duller senses of the human race, for what he likely said under his breath every moment she was with him.

Eventually, she'd asked whether Aelin was still alive, and when he'd nodded, she couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief. At least it was a step in the right direction.

After enough bickering, she left him to his own devices, though she swore if she saw him doing something too strenuous for the next few days, she was going to pull him back into unconsciousness so he could heal. She didn't think he had believed her, but when she went to prove her point, he actually looked terrified to the point she laughed.

Now she understood why Aelin loved having them follow her orders. But she had every right to keep him in line. Later they could determine the extent of the mating bond, and subsequently, the blood oaths on those sworn to her. And the child, that hopefully, had yet to be born. She wanted to be there for that in case something went wrong. Her mother had nearly died in childbirth, and while Aelin was healthy and stronger than she ever would be, the risk was still present.

By day two of him being on his feet, she'd grown sick and tired of taking care of him. He had smiled when she kicked him out of the room and yelled that she didn't care if he hurt and not to come crying to her if something went wrong.

Yrene finally understood exactly how annoying fae males were. She hadn't quite believed Aelin until now. And she'd tell her so when they got her back, even if it inflated her already overblown ego.

She prayed to Silba every day for everyones safe return. And that if the child was born, that it too survived.