Lysandra

Aelin's promises really irritated her, but she owed her so much, so she did as she was bid. Evangeline made no sound of protest as she took hold of her fur and they bolted into the trees. Later, she would think about shifting into something to keep them in the air, but this form was terrifying enough and slippery to catch.

Her Queen told them to find the "Land of Night", whatever that was. So long as it was away from the multitude of flowers, she could handle it. Rowan would kill her if he knew his mate was alone, and she would let him. She pushed herself faster. Evangeline was her priority now until they could find help.

She stopped as night fell, catching two rabbits for them to eat. Fire was risky, but Evangeline couldn't eat raw meat and she was not about to let her starve. Over her dead body.

She shifted back into the ghost leopard once they'd eaten and the fire was extinguished, moving them further away. She'd scented a powerful fae on a few different occasions, and while she was fully capable of handling herself, Evangeline was just beginning to learn how to defend herself and would be vulnerable.

She kept her eyes open as Evangeline fell asleep against her side. Sleep would be meager tonight, and likely for some time. Thankfully, she could doze, and still be fully aware of her surroundings.

Her heart thundered in her chest as the night drew on. Something was wrong. She hadn't felt what Aelin had, but now she knew for sure something was out of place. She pulled Evangeline closer and gently woke her.

Her eyes were wide, but she stayed silent, much to her relief. She climbed onto her back with no prompting, and she slunk off into the night, wary of every sound or shadow.

They were being followed.

It was either remain silent and risk being trapped or push herself to the limit and still possibly be taken down. A risk she would have to take.

She pushed off her back paws as hard as she could, feeling Evangeline grip her fur to the point of ripping it free. Repressing a growl, she bounded through the trees, the footsteps behind her picking up their pace. She needed to shift as soon as possible.

But, it seemed that would have to wait.

She leapt off the trunk of a large oak, landing behind her follower. It was a large, red-haired fae male. One of his eyes had been ripped from his eye socket, leaving a large scar. He'd replaced his eye, and it moved with an almost mechanical precision.

She snarled at him, warning him not to come any closer. He jumped towards her, but she was off, moving up the rock face as quickly as she dared. Her claws barely clung to the smooth stone, but they wouldn't be caught. Not this time. She'd fought too many enemies more powerful than she was to be taken down this easily.

The red-haired male was still behind her, but not for long. He reappeared in front of her, sword descending on them. She leapt from the stone, already a hundred feet up, the sword clanging against the stone where her head had been.

She shifted into a wyvern, quickly catching Evangeline in midair with her talons. That fae wouldn't be able to follow them now. Unless he somehow managed to sprout wings.

She flew for a short time, finding a clearing large enough for her to land and rest. And to take care of Evangeline and apologize for the multiple scares they'd had.

She shifted back to her human form to check her charge over, who promised she was fine. A bit shaken, but otherwise unharmed.

She hunted again and after they ate, they took to the skies. She could protect them both better from here, and move much faster. The only real issue of being in this form was the sheer size of this form. And if this world had this type of beast.

If she was going to be in shit, it might as well be deep shit. She'd grown as unpredictable as the Queen herself. Aelin would be proud.

If only they could remain away from prying eyes.