5. cry wolf, part 1

- ☽ xxii ༓ xxii ☾ -

    "YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY

    "YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY. You must be tired." Crooked Man says to the duo as Bigby smokes his cigarette. Adora looks over and sees Jersey has pulled out a gun, Melog's very faint outline right behind him, growling. "And if my envoys are correct... you two haven't had a lot of rest recently... Please, relax for a moment, will you? Do you want a drink? Something to eat? Vivian makes a very nice, very... it's elegant, really, her carpaccio. It's lobster... sirloin... " He continued.

  "We're here for one reason. And it's not to eat your fuckin' food." Bigby says to him, tapping his cigarette.

  "Really?" Crooked Man asks redundantly.

  "Yeah," Bigby replies, who tosses his cigarette down on the floor. He treads it out and Jersey raises his gun and aims it at Bigby. Adora's fists clench, her eyes beginning to flicker until Crooked Man speaks.

  "What do you think you're doing?" He asked Jersey.

  "They're gonna–" Jersey started to say to the Crooked Man.

  "Mr. Wolf and Princess Adora are our guests. And I have every intention of cooperating. So don't waste the silver." The Crooked Man said, firmly.

  Jersey still had the gun aiming at Bigby. "Sit down, Jersey." Crooked Man ordered and finally, Jersey lowers the gun and sits down.

  Adora's eyes return to normal, clasping her hands together in front of her.

  "Well, Sheriff... Deputy... for the sake of transparency, why don't you two tell us why you're here... it would help settle everyone's nerves, I think."

  "You're destroying this town. You've been doing it for ages." Adora replies to him.

  "Destroying this town? What on Earth do you mean?" Crooked Man asked, confused.

  "What the hell do you think I mean? Slavery, kidnapping, extortion, murder. What would you call the wholesale corruption of Fabletown." Adora exclaims, visibly pissed.

  "I would call it the baseless accusation of a desperate Sheriff and Deputy." Crooked Man replied. "How are you certain this isn't some... conspiracy against me? I'm a well-connected man... well-moneyed. People do like to take their shots at me."

  "Who would try to pull that on you?" Bigby asked Crooked Man.

  "Oh, I don't know. Fables with a grudge, people who want a stake in my shops and services... but I can understand the confusion. And I am, truly, sorry about... the trouble all of this has caused you two. And I hope you believe me when I say that I sincerely mean to make it up to you two." the Crooked Man replied then he takes a deep breath and continues. "The recent murders have gotten much attention as of late... I don't relish telling you that they were perpetrated by an employee of mine. It's a very unfortunate bit of business, but... I promise you that the matter will be dealt with. Internally. I just want to settle the issue for you two. And to assure you that it's over with. You two really don't need to worry about yourself further." He said.