Prologue

August 10, 2005

Heaven forbid the wrong person finds this journal. If something is to ever happen to us, I want you to know the truth.

Your father and I are agents for a secret government organization called S.H.I.E.L.D.. My hope is that you will never become involved in their affairs. Our mission is to protect the world. Save lives.

We were sent on a mission about a month ago to take down a Hydra base. You should have learned about them in history, but they are our enemies. Very few remain. With luck, by the time you are reading this, Hydra will be wiped off of the face of the earth for good. During our mission, we came across Hydra's experimentation on a baby. They had not gotten very far with their experiments and the two year old was still perfectly healthy and fully human. We took the baby back to S.H.I.E.L.D with us.

As agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., your father and I have always known that we would never be able to settle down and raise a family. Of course we always have wanted children of our own, but being sent on missions every few months, it would be inconvenient and troublesome. But when we found the baby, we knew that she was our chance at having a family.

That baby was you, Petra.

You gave us the chance to be parents. I pray that you will never have to read this, and that your father and I will be able to tell you ourselves, but I know that in our line of work, there is a chance that we may be gone.

You are a blessing in our lives and we love you very much.

Love,

Mary Parker

Welcome to this fic! Are you excited? I am. This idea was given to me by @NexusNormKnight. I don't own anything Marvel related, or other fandoms that I might mention. Feel free to leave any feedback, good and bad. Enjoy! (Updates on Mondays)