6

2012

Tony landed on the balcony of the Stark Tower in New York after finishing the final steps in making the tower a beacon of self-sustaining energy. He walked along the ramp as the robots removed the Ironman suit piece by piece.

"Sir, Agent Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D. is on the line," Jarvis greeted.

"Tell him I'm busy and to come by later," Tony instructed, "unless it's extremely important."

"I'm afraid he's insisting, Sir."

"Grow a spine, JARVIS. I've got a date."

Tony entered the room where Pepper was manning the controls. "Levels are holding steady, I think," she said. 

"Of course they are. I was directly involved," Tony joked. "Which brings me to my next question. How does it feel to be a genius?"

"Well, I really wouldn't know, now would I?"

"What do you mean? All of this," Tony motioned to the space around them which was now powered by clean, renewable energy, "came from you."

"No. All this came from that." Pepper tapped the arc reactor in Tony's chest.

"Give yourself some credit. Please. Give yourself... twelve percent of the credit."

Pepper raised an eyebrow. "Twelve percent?"

"An argument can be made for fifteen," Tony amended.

"Twelve percent?" Pepper repeated. "Really?"

"Well I did do all the heavy lifting." Tony followed Pepper to the couch. "Literally. I lifted the heavy things. I'm going to pay for that comment about percentages in some subtle way, aren't I?"

"It's not gonna be that subtle," Pepper informed him, handing Tony a drink.

"Sir, the telephone," JARVIS interrupted. "I'm afraid my protocols are being overridden."

"Stark, we need to talk," Coulson's voice came from Tony's phone. 

With a sigh, Tony picked up his phone. "You have reached the real life model decoy of Tony Stark. Please leave a message."

Pepper covered her mouth to hide a laugh.

"This is urgent," Coulson said.

"Then leave it urgently."

The elevator doors opened from the other side of the room, revealing Agent Coulson with a phone to his ear. Coulson hung up the phone and entered the room.

"Security breach!"

"Mr. Stark."

"Phil!" Pepper smiled. She stood up and walked towards Coulson. "Come in!"

"Phil?" Tony asked, following Pepper's example. "His first name is 'Agent'."

"We're celebrating," Pepper told Coulson.

"Which is why he can't stay."

"We need you to look this over as soon as possible," Coulson informed Tony, offering him an electronic file.

"I don't like being handed thi-"

"That's fine," Pepper interrupted, "because I love being handed things, so let's trade." Pepper took the file and gave Coulson her glass, which she had yet to drink out of, then took Tony's glass and handed him the file.

Tony accepted the file, but not without complaint. "Official consulting hours are between eight and five every other Thursday."

"This isn't a consultation," Coulson replied.