No. 5: Nine-Nine Night

"It's only October fifth, and you've already started putting up decorations?" Janus marveled as the three of them climbed the steps to Virgil's house. "You and your family must adore Halloween."

"They're neutral. I'm the one who loves it---those decorations are handmade." Virgil opened up the screen door and turned the combination on the lockbox. "I already texted my parents that I'm bringing you guys over, so they're prepared." He jiggled the lockbox violently.

"Uh, do you need---" Remus started.

"No, no, I got it. This thing's just an asshole." Virgil kept on jiggling until it popped open. He took the key out, inserted it in the lock, and pushed the door open.

"I'm home!" he called. "And I've got two idiots with me!"

His mom jumped up from her seat, beaming. "Oh my gosh, hi! It's so nice to meet Virgil's friends!"

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Hayashi," Janus said, shaking her hand. "My name's Janus, and this is my boyfriend, Remus."

"Hiiiiiii," Remus said, giving her a little wave.

"Oh, call me Yuko," she told him. "I hope neither of you mind salmon for dinner---I've got singing class tonight, and it's the quickest thing for us to make."

Janus shrugged. "I like it just fine."

"I'll eat anything," Remus added.

Virgil's dad came in from the kitchen. "You gonna introduce me?"

"This is Janus---spelled with a U-S---and his boyfriend Remus," Virgil told him, gesturing to them in turn.

He raised an eyebrow. "Boyfriend? You told me the guy you were meeting was straight."

"Yeah, I lied so you wouldn't tease me."

"You could've just told me he was taken." He held out a hand. "Hi, I'm Frank. Nice to meet you two."

Janus shook it. "Virgil told me you were a science person?"

"Yep! I work as a computer engineer."

"Do you have any opinions on philosophy? Because I've been doing some research on effective altruism lately---"

Remus elbowed him. "No philosopher talk tonight, Jan-Jan. We're here to have fun!"

"Well, you guys arrived just on time, because I just finished making dinner," Frank said, smiling. "C'mon, go grab some. Guests get first choice."

"Should we eat at the table?" Virgil asked.

Yuko frowned. "Honey, are you kidding me? The table's a mess."

"Living room it is, then."

Janus followed Frank into the dining room, then stopped in his tracks. "You have a piano?"

"Keep moving, Jekyll and Lied," Virgil called.

"Oooh, I'm totally not partial to that nickname," he said, taking out his phone and snapping a picture.

"I said keep moving."

Janus rolled his eyes and catwalked into the kitchen, where the actual cat brushed up against his legs with a meow.

"Oh, hello there!" He kneeled down and scratched Klaus under the chin. "You must be the cat that claws people's legs off if they're not home in time."

"That's Klaus," Yuko told him. "He loves people, but he can get a little clingy."

"He's also a putz," Frank added.