Chapter Twenty-Seven

Several Months Later - Beginning of November:

It had finally gotten to a point where Jessie was making more money with her YouTube videos and Twitch streams than at GameStop.  While she missed her co-workers, she knew quitting and doing YouTube full-time was the right choice.

Because she no longer had to go somewhere for work, she was home a lot more.  Some of her time was spent editing videos, and some of it was spent playing video games (she wished she could tell her 10-year-old self that), but she now had days where she had... free time.

Before, she'd go to work, then she'd come home and maybe film something or edit something.  By the time she was done with that, she'd need to eat dinner, then suddenly, her day was over.

Now, she'd finish everything somewhere around lunch time.  Sometimes, she'd go stream something on Twitch afterward, but normally, she found herself restless.  Cheyenne would still be in class, and Jessie would be stuck at home by herself.

She'd think about calling Austin, but half the time, he was on a plane somewhere, so they couldn't talk.  She also didn't know what he was doing sometimes, so she'd settle for texting him throughout the day.  They'd usually talk at night.

Currently, Jessie was editing a video that she'd be uploading later in the week.  Her phone started ringing, and she looked down at it.  When she saw it was Austin, she smiled and picked it up.

"Hey!" she greeted.

"Hey," he said, and she could tell that he was talking to her in the car. "I've got a question."

"All right."

"What are your plans for Thanksgiving?" he asked.

She frowned. "Well, my brother lives in a different state, and my parents decided that they wanted to go on vacation that week.  So, absolutely nothing.  Cheyenne will probably stop by and bring me food, though."

"Okay, hear me out..."

"What?" She wasn't sure if she trusted him.

"Come celebrate with me and my family."

"Wait, really?" She still wasn't sure whether she trusted him or not.

"Yeah." She could tell he was smiling now. "Did you think I was gonna say no?  And that I was joking?"

"I mean... I guess I did."

"Why would I joke about that?" He chuckled.

"I don't know, I thought it was a prank or something," she replied, frowning.

"What kind of prank would that be?" Jessie now knew that Kofi was also in the car, which meant there was a definite possibility of Big E being there, too.

"I don't know," she said. "I thought he was gonna say sike and then we'd move on with our lives."

"Do you not want to do it?" Austin asked. "Because it's fine if you don't, but - "

"No!" she interrupted. "I'd love to.  I really would.  I just... That was not a question I was expecting to be asked today."

"What kinds of questions were you expecting today?" E asked her.

"I don't know.  Maybe, like, how's the weather?"

"Jess," Austin said, "I'm on the opposite side of the country right now.  I don't care how the weather is in California."

"But you could at least pretend to," she said, but she had a big smile on her face now.  Even though he couldn't see her, she wouldn't be surprised if her voice gave it away.