Not This Time

|| 3rd POV ||

The blonde model had made his way down to the cafe, where he had told a certain bluenette to come to. It has been about ten minutes and she has yet to arrive. The boy looks down to his ring and shifts it, right and left. Adrien leans against the wall and gives a slight sigh. He doesn't want to do this, but he knows it was the right thing to do. Things have been different, things have changed. It can't be how it was back then. 

"Hey kid, you alright?", Plagg whispers from his jacket pocket.

"Yeah, just thinking.", the blonde murmurs back.

"You really going to do it?", the black kwami questions.

"I can't keep leading her on like this. Things changed.", Adrien replies back.

The cat kwami shrugs and drops back into the pocket. The boy pulls out his little envelope from his pocket and examines each piece of it, rethinking his final decision. Adrien walks into the cafe and to the counter, where Rose, the barista smiled at him.

"Hello Adrien!", she replies cheerily.

"Hey Rose, can I ask you for something?", he replies.

"Sure! What is it?", she asks.

"Marinette is coming within a bit, I need to go. So can you give her the envelope and this ring?", Adrien questions, pulling his ring off.

"Okay, I'll make sure to give them to her!", she replies, taking the ring and envelope.

"Thanks Rose. Bye.", the boy replies quietly, leaving.

 "Sorry Plagg, she'll find you a new owner that is more suited for the job.", the boy thinks quietly as he walks through the quiet streets.

~

The bluenette darts down the streets to get to the cafe. She still can't believe the one chance she gets to see Adrien and she misses it.

"Why am I such a tardy girl?", the bluebell eyed girl mutters to herself.

"Well, it's an accident, but no worries.", her ladybug kwami replies.

The young designer runs into the quiet corner cafe and scans around for a certain blonde model. She bit her lip at the lack of him in there. Maybe she's early? Not a chance, he probably had left.

"Marinette!", a cheery voice called over from the counter-side.

"Oh, hey Rose. Have you seen Adrien by any chance?", the blue-haired asked.

"He was here earlier, but he did leave some things for you.", Rose replies, handing the envelope and ring over the counter. Marinette puts her hand over her mouth when she sees the Cat Miraculous. 

"T-Thanks Rose.", she says, Rose responding with a nod.

Marinette takes the envelope and ring and walks over to a table outside and sits down. She carefully slips the ring on her finger and Plagg swirls out. His face, struck with sadness and pain. The designer peels the envelope open and takes the neatly folded note out. She unfolds it, carefully and slowly, fearing the words. 

Dear M'Lady,

Hi Marinette. I would like to start off with, I'm sorry. I just wasn't the right one for Paris. For you. Things changed, and while my feelings and love for you will always be in my heart and linger in my mind, I can't torture you with keeping you locked away from life to wait for me. It was selfish of me to do that to you. You shouldn't wait for me. So, I've decided to exit your life so you can continue the way you should. This pains me heavily to leave you here and like this, but it just wasn't meant to be. You and me. I dragged you on this fantasy for six years, and while I wished for it to last forever, I can't ask you to leave everything for me. And I never will. So, with a heavy heart, I renounce my Miraculous back to you. You will always be a major piece of me, and I will never forget you. I hope you live a great life. And that, if fate has it, we will meet again someday. I love you forever. But this isn't how it's supposed to play out. Not this time.

Yours forever,

Adrien/Chat Noir 

Marinette jolted back into reality as a tear fell down her face. Realization hit the designer and she jumps up. He could still be here, she can still reach him. The young girl darts out and across the streets to get to the airport. She can't lose him. He's everything to her. Not yet. Not like this. She makes her way quickly and runs in through the airport. Marinette glances across and notices Adrien standing over on the side, preparing to board the plane. She runs over to him, despite being out of breath, and keeps going.

"Adrien!", she calls out.

The blonde boy begins to turn to her but before he could move, a brown haired girl, Lila, blocks him and ushers him into the board. The girl looks back at her with a smirk and pushes her long brown hair back. By the time Marinette had reached the door, it had shut and the plane was getting ready to take off. Tears streamed down her face. The bluenette pulled out her phone and tried contacting him, glancing out the window, watching as Lila pulled the phone out of his hand and telling him something, which he nods at. Her heart broke at their take off to the United States. She had lost him. She had lost what made her Ladybug. What made her, her. 

"Don't worry, I believe you two will be together again!", Tikki chirped, trying to assure her owner. The bluenette shakes her head.

"No Tikki. This is the end of this story.", Marinette whispers back.