Just The Same

|| 3rd POV But we're more focusing on what Marinette sees and thinks. They're adults now, both are 26 and have a daughter, Emma. ||

⚠️ Caution! This is probably a darker one shot I've ever written. If you're not set to read anything relating to domestic abuse. Obviously it won't affect everyone the same or at all but it's just for the sake of those who might be affected by this. Thank you! ⚠️

Mutely, the bluenette watches her husband enter his office. This would be the sixth time this week he had skipped family dinner once again. And tonight was their daughter, Emma's second birthday.

It barely had been three years since they had finally defeated HawkMoth and ended his reign. The villain had turned out to be Adrien's father, and since the day he was taken to jail, Adrien had grown distant.

Three whole years after the life turning event and since then it had only gone down.

"Adrien, would you like to come down for dinner? And to wish Emma-" Marinette asks, only to be cut off.

"I'll come down later, I'm quite busy right now, Mari," he says with a cold tone, turning back to his papers.

The bluenette bit her lip, holding herself back from a snap.

"Alright then, I'll leave your dinner in the fridge for you," she murmurs, leaving the room, silently shutting the door.

"Papa?" Emma asks, her head tilted in hope.

Emma had finally been able to learn to walk on her own, although there are moments where she still clung to things to help with balance. Small words slowly began to form, one of the first being, 'Kitty' and 'Papa'.

Marinette shook her head with a soft sigh, leaning down to slip her hands between her daughter's arms, picking her up.

"Not tonight, sweetheart. Papa is busy," she says softly, taking the both of them down the stairs.

"Papa!" Emma called again, a bit more insistent.

"Papa is working right now, he'll be here soon," the bluenette said with a firm tone yet soft eyes.

Emma hesitates for a moment before nodding.

"Let's have some cake, yeah?" Marinette says, trying to cheer her up.

Emma began bouncing up and down as her hands clung to her mother's neck. Her head excitedly nodding.

"Yeah, yeah!" She cheered as they entered the kitchen.

Marinette carefully placed the child on the marble counter, warning her to not squirm before going to retrieve the light pink, three tiered cake from the fridge.

Her parents had insisted on making Emma's cakes for the rest of her life, neither Emma nor Marinette had refused considering their pastries were the best of all.

The bluenette carefully placed the cake on the counter before going to grab Emma, placing her on the high chair.

"How much do you want?" Marinette asked, picking up the cake knife.

"Uhm..big! Big!" Emma cheers, clapping her hands together as she swung her legs back and forth.

"Alright, but you're gonna share with mama, right?" She teases.

"Yeah, yeah!" Emma agrees.

The bluenette gave a nod before taking a generous slice and placing it on the paper plate, sliding it over to the child who immediately dug in with her hands.

Marinette smiles at her daughter before quickly turning to put the cake and knife away.

Yummy," Emma hums, licking the pink frosting off her lips.