Alternate "Neverseen" Ending

Sophie turned and held her home crystal up to the light, ready to end the tumulus day

Sophie turned and held her home crystal up to the light, ready to end the tumulus day. But she spared a glance behind her at Keefe, to make sure he really was okay. He held a pathfinder up to the light, but the crystal was... yellow?

The neutral territories.

She quickly wrapped her concentration around the both of them as she lunged for Keefe's shoulder, light leaping somewhere far, far away.

They collapsed in a pile on the dead grass, rolling down a never ending hill. Sophie clung to Keefe as tightly as he clung to her... very tightly. Eventually they slowed to a stop. He braced himself on top of her, panting. He hadn't seemed to have grasped the situation yet.

Once Sophie finally caught her breath, she whispered, "Keefe."

That was all he needed. Keefe broke out of his trance as his eyes widened at the sight of her.

"What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing!" she replied accusingly.

"No no no no no. No no no. You have to go home, Foster! Right now!" he frantically started to feel at his neck for a crystal, but then noticed the clear home crystal on Sophie's neck.

"Keefe, no!" but Keefe pinned her arms down as she swiped at him and he reached for the crystal on her neck. She felt the snap as he yanked it from her and scrambled up.

"You have to go, now!" he repeated, holding it up to the light.

"Absolutely not!" Sophie shouted, pulling herself up and grabbing the crystal from him.

They played tug-of-war with the crystal until it flew from their hands into a lake. A red lake.

"This is where..." Sophie couldn't finish. They had light leaped to the entrance of the ogre prison where Keefe's mom had been locked up.

As Keefe ransacked his cloak for another crystal, and Sophie stared at him in disbelief, a voice filled the air that had her knees shaking and her head blurring.

"Well well well! Mr. Sencen! I'm surprised you actually showed up here today for our meeting! And with a surprise!" Fintan and Brant stalked toward them, with looks of horrific glee on their faces.

"She isn't supposed to be here!" Keefe gave up on his search and stood in front of Sophie, like he could somehow protect her from the two pyrokinetics.

"And yet here she is, all the same," Brant snarled, looking pleased when Sophie's knees almost entirely gave out.

Keefe reached to steady her, but someone else got there first. Two strong hands grabbed her wrists and yanked her backward, making her shriek and stumble.

"Well done, Mr. Vacker. Perhaps you are of use to us after all."

"It was my pleasure," Sophie could tell by Alvar's voice that he was grinning uncontrollably.