восемнадцать

december 22nd

well rested, you woke up next to jungkook in his temporary bedroom that his mother reserved for his visits. the day before had been tiring; traveling, meeting jungkook's mom, dealing with some weird ass tension during dinner and a silent boyfriend while unpacking your backpack. the cottage was sweet on the outside, but it had been quite the discomfort on the inside.

you opened your eyes to see jungkook still asleep. you smiled at the expression on his face; even while asleep he managed to have that confused look. you pecked his parted lips before getting up, deciding against waking him up.

you went downstairs after washing up in the common bathroom upstairs only to hear sounds of clanking pans and plates. you went to the small kitchen and saw mrs. jeon cooking an omelette that was already sizzling. "good morning," you greeted with your arms crossed and body leaning against the doorway.

she jumped at the sound of your voice and turned away from the stove to greet you back with an instant smile, "you're up rather early dear, did you get to sleep well?"

"oh yeah, the bed is so much more comfortable than anything i've ever slept on. can i help you with anything?"

"can you place the cutleries for me, love?" she was so soft-spoken that even if you wanted to, you could never say no to this woman. you bet your life she lived by the saying, 'kill with kindness'.

you set up the table as she slid the omelette off the pan before leaning her back against the counter. "could you close the door for me?"

you furrowed your brows at the unexpected request but obeyed nonetheless.

"before jungkook wakes up, i need to warn you hun," she sounded serious as her dark eyes pierced through yours, "he is not a good man. fair enough, he went through a lot in his life, but he isn't who you think he is. i love my son, ayen, i really do, but you're going to get hurt if you stay with him."

you listened to her with a gaping mouth, widened eyes and raised brows. "what do you mean?"

she lowered her voice, "my boy loves hard. too hard. i've only ever seen him with two girls, and it didn't end up well, not once." she gulped and shut her eyes before exhaling shakily. "one of them-"

she was interrupted mid-sentence by jungkook barging in with his eyes barely open as he scratched the back of his head through his fluffy bedhair. "why was the door closed?" his voice was still raspy and hoarse as if he just woke up standing in the middle of the kitchen.

his eyed widened at the sight of omelette. "they don't look like scrambled eggs anymore," he praised in his native language in astonishment. by the way his mother laughed in glee, you assumed he'd said something nice for once.

"i've had plenty of time to practise the perfect omelette," you appreciated that at least mrs. jeon stuck to english, not that you minded hearing jungkook speak korean. it was sort of attractive. "go on, i'll make you one too, ayen."

you sat down across jungkook who was devouring his breakfast, still wondering what the end of her sentence was. it was news to you that jungkook even had had more than one girlfriend.

dismissing your curious thoughts, you ate along with the family.

"you want to go hunting?" jungkook asked as you settled back into the living room.

you widened your eyes and repeated, "hunting?"

unfazed by your reaction, he clarified, "well yeah, we are in a forest. there's a supermarket but it's a bit far, so might as well make use of nature."

you could hear mrs. jeon washing dishes in the kitchen. you decided to use the situation to your advantage so you could ask her to elaborate on jungkook's past relationships. "okay then. you should get the equipment and i'll go change."

he nodded before grabbing his coat and boots to leave from the back door, still in his night-wear.

you rushed to the kitchen and closed the door and asked before letting the woman react, "what happened to the other girl?"

you heard her sigh as she washed her hands before drying them on a towel and turning off the sink. she turned around. "where is jungkook?"

"he's getting ready to go hunting."

"hunting?! have you seen his shoes? they aren't even waterproof, oh my..."

you pursed your lips impatiently as she rambled on about his health. "i'll convince him to stay inside, but can you please answer my question?"

if you didn't know any better, you'd think she was almost unwilling to tell you. she was nibbling on her lips and her fingers tapping the counter anxiously. "ayen, do you love my son?"

you were a bit dumbstruck by the question. your immediate response would be yes, but you felt like this conversation had gone somewhat serious; as if one answer could change the outcome of something - something important. "what does that have to do with anything?"

"i know it's hard to tell for you, but he looks so much livelier compared to last year. the boy almost looked older than me with how burdened he was. i don't want that back ayen," her eyes began to tear up and her voice was wavering, "you're good for him. will you promise to not let his past affect your relationship?"

"yes," you breathed instantly without a second thought. fuck the consequences, if he's happy, you're happy. 

"the other girl... she's in jail for attempting to murder jungkook."