двадцать восемь

jungkook's eerie aura was scaring you.

it was like the calm before the storm, how he entered your dorm and asked so seriously, "have you thought about it?"

though you made a deal with yourself to stop letting jungkook get away with mistreating you, it was difficult to tell him off right then. you accepted his apology, having forgiven him the moment he asked for it without giving it.

it didn't seem like the time to be teasing him about it any longer, and it had only been one day. something didn't sit right with you. he was too calm, like he was in shock; silent, trembling and staring.

you were uneasy while lying down next to him on your bed, too afraid to even move. he was just watching the ceiling like he was star gazing.

"you snitched on me," he whispered almost inaudibly. the room was so quiet that you caught it perfectly. "why?"

"i never snitched on you." you gulped, hoping you weren't saying the wrong thing. he was like a time ticking bomb.

"you think i framed vanessa?"

he never glanced at you but you were already shrinking into the comforter. your professor snitched on you. "no."

"so i should take your word over his?"

"absolutely."

he turned on his side to you and you did the same instantly. you didn't say word for word that jungkook was guilty, but if that man believed him to be, he ought to do something instead of taking it out on his miserable daughter. the sly bastard betrayed you and twisted your advice.

"he lied."

you nodded while staring back at him. his eyes looked empty.

"what should i do about that?"

you opened your mouth but couldn't say anything. he didn't have to avenge you, you didn't take it as seriously as he did.

slowly he placed his warm hand on your cheek, soothing you with his thumb. you didn't recall him ever doing that to you before. "you don't think it's a big deal?"

you shook your head like you were in a trance. maybe it was his gentle touch and tone, but you felt a little hypnotized.

he let his hair fall free with his other hand. fuck.

"stay away from him," you purred. "i don't like the way he looks at you."

he chorted as if you amused him. "you jealous?"

you shrugged whimsically. "he just looks at you weird in lectures. you don't even like me glancing at you, so..."

just when the atmosphere was weighing less on you, his stare brought it all back. the empty eyes and monotone expression. he deadpanned, "you called me a psychopath."

"what? when?" your eyes grew wide at how the situation was taking turns on turns.

"in the barn."

you racked your brain to remember that nearly traumatic day. the adrenaline, the cold, and jungkook's fucked up idea of a game. you mumbled nervously, "i... i said i loved you."

the memory had his face soften. that was the most important detail about that day; you sacrificed yourself for him, and your last words were your love for him. "you did, didn't you?" he smiled shyly. "you don't think i'm actually a psychopath, right?"

here we again with the tough questions. in all honesty, you didn't know - you couldn't be sure about his sanity at all. jungkook was like a puzzle to you; piecing all his traumas and emotions together to justify his behavior.

"ayen?"

it sounded like a warning, which freaked you out. his tone made it clear to you that there was only one right answer: he wasn't a psychopath. "you aren't a psychopath."

he pet your head like you just aced your finals. supposing this was a life exam, you felt relieved. "you and i, we're staying away from that man. okay?"

you nodded obediently. maybe there was a technique to dealing with him by simply agreeing. as long as you're on his side, he'll be on yours. he won't hurt you, emotionally or physically.

you'd be able to handle him perfectly in that case.

january 17th

it was tough to pretend like mr. johnson hadn't just betrayed you for the sake of your professionalism. your personal life was not to interfere with your education, and jungkook took the same route as you.

just taking notes like the good students that you two are, the chemistry never wearing off. you stared at him, he felt you up.

same routine, as if nothing was wrong.

you nudged namjoon's side. you whispered to not alert jungkook, "entertain me."

he stared at you quizzically. "don't you have a boyfriend?" you didn't pick up on it, but the petty attitude had slipped out on accident and he was trying to keep his expression in check to make it appear like a joke rather than shade.

"but i also have you, what's your point?"

fuck, don't say that. for reasons other than the cold, his cheeks turned into a more prominent shade of red. you thought it looked cute and once again appreciated winter for beyond its snow.

he mumbled shyly, "do you want to-"

unlike your gentle nudge, jungkook basically elbowed you as a call for attention alongside a warning. all air was forced out of your lungs and an unintentional oof left your mouth. you had to silently gasp to catch your breath while namjoon stared in shock.

as if namjoon had grown a backbone, he angrily questioned, "what the fuck, jungkook?" he was infuriated. never in a million years had he imagined his friend of many years hurting a woman like it meant nothing.

you breathed heavily from embarrassment. you didn't want anyone else to see that side of jungkook, especially not in public. you were lucky you kept quiet at such an unexpected attack that wasn't meant to be so violent and it was only namjoon who saw.

"oh shit, are you okay?" jungkook held your arm gently, eyebrows furrowed and lips parted in concern. "i'm so sorry, i was just going to poke you but it turned out pretty hard, huh..."

you assured him it was okay.

but it wasn't okay, because mr. johnson had just gained a witness.