E I G H T

"𝑫𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆? 

𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒔 𝒂 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒚 𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆?"

The girls spent the night together, as much as possible. They had multiple requests from different lords and minor royals. (Y/n) in particular was sure to make herself known to as many people as possible. She spent the first-night building connections and scoping out as many young men as she could. She had a mission to fulfil after all. She felt eyes on her constantly but none burned as hot as Satori's gaze. She had been trying to avoid him but he was making it exceedingly difficult when he stared at her like she was something special.

Lily wasn't having as much fun. After the first dance with Wakatoshi, anyone else she danced with paled in comparison. She was polite. She laughed when she was meant to laugh and curtsied when it was needed but no one matched the prince. She couldn't help but feel guilty about that.

Wakatoshi danced with many women but he didn't really pay attention to any of them. His eyes followed Lily. He tried several times to request a dance again but he was always pulled away by some lady before he could get the chance. He engaged in small talk with all of them to appear polite but his mind was on other things, specifically, the flower who had captured his full attention.

Satori was bored out of his mind. Not many approached him. The few brave souls that tried were usually shut down. He didn't dance much, in fact, he didn't dance at all. The women that tried to approach him let his title linger on their lips and let thoughts of his money fester in their minds. Their questions were dull and the chat between them was always falling flat. He knew what they were after and he hated it. It reminded him of someone he would much rather forget. Someone who had previously ruined his life. He would not fall for that again. He let his eyes follow (Y/n). She was a marvellous dancer. Even those with two left feet looked somewhat decent under her care. Her presence filled the room and he was embarrassingly conscious of her. Why did she affect him like this? He found her annoying. So why couldn't he get the sight of her twirling and jumping with a bright smile from his mind? He needed a drink.

The night soon drew to a close. Y/n was the only one who spent all night dancing. The orchestra appreciated her greatly. The way she moved was inspirational, to say the least. 

When she and Lily finally left, the conductor waved to her and sent a wink her way. She would be back tomorrow to dance with them again. They were glorious musicians. 

The two girls left the ballroom quickly, they had much to discuss. They entered their suite and immediately collapsed on the furniture.

"Tonight was exhausting," Lily sighed. She had taken the flowers from her hair and placed them gently on the table. She did the same for Y/n.

"I know. I spoke to so many people, my mouth is dry. I'm not even sure if I'll remember all their names."

"You'll certainly remember Lord Tendou, though," Lily said teasingly and Y/n whipped her head towards her.

"What do you mean?" 

"You are well aware of what I mean. The glances from across the room, the blushing, the deliberate avoidance. Not to mention, the lovers spat at the beginning of the night."

"Lover's spat? He'd have to dream. He just wanted to dance and I said no. That insolent fool, who does he think he is?"

"The future hand of the king, the richest lord in this kingdom, the second most eligible bachelor of all the lands. Who do you think you are, turning him down. He didn't dance with anyone tonight," Lily huffed at her friend.

"And? That sounds like a problem for him to deal with. I have no intention of dancing with him. He's arrogant, disrespectful, and a terrible listener," Y/n counted off her hand.

"Have you given him any time to do any listening? Have you had a proper conversation with him?" Y/n was silent at that. "That is what I thought,"

"Don't talk down to me, who is the one that stole the prince's heart in a single night, then left him?" Y/n smirked and crossed her arms over her chest as she watched Lily flush.

"I couldn't stay with him! He is yours, that is what we discussed. It is your plan. You are doing this for your father and I will not intrude because he liked my looks the first time he saw me," Lily sighed deeply and played with her fingers.

"That wasn't the first time he saw you, Lord Tendou told me that he saw you in the gardens but you disappeared before he had the chance to speak to you." Lily looked at her in shock. "And you are not intruding. Things didn't go according to plan, that is fine. Going after the prince might have been too ambitious. It is clear that his eyes are only for you."

"Stop that! We had a plan, (Y/n). We are going to stick to it. It was your father's request, I won't take this from you!"

"Why are you protesting so heavily? I saw the way you looked at him, don't use me as an excuse because you are scared!"

"I am not scared! He doesn't even know me. He saw that I am pretty and has forgotten to look at anyone else. Make yourself known to him. I won't discuss this with you again," Lily stood, ready to move to her bedroom.

"I don't understand you, Liliana. Whatever the issue is, I will discuss it with you tomorrow. You are acting oddly and this anger in your voice isn't something I want to deal with. Goodnight."

Y/n turned and left. Lily could feel tears in her eyes. She doesn't understand. She wouldn't understand. She heaved another heavy sigh before walking to her room as well. She could never understand.